Iran

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Alphaville

Re: Iran

Post by Alphaville »

wow that is hardcore. looks right out of “homeland” or something.

so was he being protected by iran? or was he hiding from them too?

just read the nyt article and i believe we know exactly zero. so strange...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Iran has no love for Al Qaeda, but there is serious tension with Israel due to strong support for Palestinian cause.

Flurry

Post by Flurry »

Iran is mostly Shiite, Al Quaeda is Salafist and they consider Shiites as heretics. There is a deep religious twist between them.
The biggest problem is the potential for extremism because of the immense suffering of the population caused by US actions, especially under the Trump administration. I really hope for all the nice people there that the bullying will stop.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

There is also a huge generation gap in Iran. The generation of the still current leadership is much smaller than contingent born since revolution. The youth is much more modern in perspective. That said, I have been shown photos of relatively affluent Iranian college students who are notably shorter than their own parents due to sanctions.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Soleimani was killed on 3 January last year. Iran appears to be preparing for something.