Is your data safe?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Chad
I am glad you have a great CC company. I do as well. I will sometimes get a phone call from them if certain rapid purchases for large amounts are racked up. They don't deny the card, they phone me to see if it is indeed me making them.

I greatly appreciate this. One cannot have too many safeguards in this day and time. On another note, I got an email today from the "IRS" stating they could not process my tax return (I already had notification of it's processing last March), and they asked for certain "documents to be sent" none of which were spelled out. The language was wrong, the spelling was shabby, and we have been preached to over and over that the IRS will never operate in that manner. I saved the email and forwarded it to the State Attorney General. I am sure about a zillion other people did the same thing. People will try anything these days.

Best bet watch your backside every move!

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Hspence, I recently came into a sizable inheritance -- about 10 MILLION DOLLARS UNITED STATES MONEY. Problem is, the money is tied up in Nigeria, of all places. I need about $100k to hire a lawyer and pay the necessary official fees, etc. to get access to the money. If you can help me out, I'll give you a full 10%, or ONE MILLION DALLARS UNITED STATES MONEHY. Please make the check payable to cash.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Hspencer

My credit card company makes those calls to me too. Some times it's not even for big purchases, but for small purchases in a geographic area I'm not normally in. I don't mind at all and thank them profusely every time they call.
I always try to watch my backside, which is why I never use my debit card. There is no law for debit cards saying that you are only liable for the first $50 stolen, while all credit cards are under that law. Plus, I get cash back for using my credit card (never hold a balance or pay a fee).
I had an issue with the IRS too. They made a mistake and it took a while to clear up. I'm actually surprised they don't make more mistakes, with over a 100 million returns per year and the current tax code mess. I have never heard of them communicating by email. I would be leary of any links in it.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@dragoncar
I am so upset!!! I want to help you so badly, you, a brother here on the forum.

The problem is I am out of money as I am already helping four other people with the same situation as you describe.

After a sleepless night, I have decided to mortgage my home, and raise the $100,000 to send to you for the lawyer. I just can't stand by and see you in such need, when, as you describe, it could be so profitable for the pair of us!!!

I will let you know when I get the proceeds from the requested mortgage. If you don't hear from me in a reasonable time frame, I urge you to phone me at BR-549, Extension 56. By your having my personal phone number we can keep and touch and share in the wealth.

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

@dragoncar -- thanks for the link. It's too bad ZFS is not available for windows/mac. Bit rot and propagation to my multiple backups is the only thing I am worried about long term.