Thoughts on Detroit Housing Demolitions

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

I was curious to see what everyone thought about the proposal to demolish 10,000 abandoned homes in Detroit. Gentrification? Resource waste? Smart decision? Investment opportunity? Any predictions?

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Detroit. One would be a little leery driving around there on some of the city streets. It can be a dangerous place. I got nervous driving though Detroit in a military convoy of about 50 vehicles. That's right, a US Army Convoy driving through the city. I thought----"Hey, if I'm jittery here at dusk, driving a Hummvee through Detroit, something is wrong with this picture". I was glad when we began to see the cityscape in our rearview mirrors. I was actually hoping the Convoy CO would not have to pull over for some reason. I was sure hoping the Co knew where he was taking us. I saw a lot of wrecked cars and trucks on the side of the highway. Later in life, I saw similar scenes on Tapline road in Southern Iraq.

I don't see any value in NOT demolishing abandoned buildings in that city. Otherwise, aren't they just gang camps or meth labs? Might be cheaper on the city to doze them, instead of waiting until the thugs torch them, or a meth lab in them blows up and burns them.

Some will make a case for rehabilitation and reuse.

If I am actually nervous in a military convoy, I just can't see myself commuting around town to a job or going out to eat at night (or some parts of town even day).

I have been to Detroit three times in my life. It would have only taken me one trip to say I have been there. One would have been enough.

sky

Post by sky »

In most cases the demos are burnouts or structural failures. Few decent homes are being demolished, the City can't even afford to get rid of the dangerous structures.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I agree with what others have said. It should also be noted that demolishing 10,000 abandoned houses in Detroit does not mean all of these abandoned houses are being destroyed. I would imagine you could still find very cheap houses there.
Also, the city just can't afford to provide services to these areas (police, fire, utilities, etc.).

JerseyGirl

Post by JerseyGirl »

HSpencer, could you explain what was so scary about Detroit? The burned out/junked cars, the people? What? I just can't think of what could be so scary on american soil for a whole convoy of troops. I've never been to Detroit, so I don't know.

S

Post by S »

I just recently moved to Detroit (staying at least through august). I ride my bike around the city and rarely feel unsafe during the day, but of course some neighborhoods are worse than others. I think what creeps people out is that it *looks bad*. There are a lot of decaying, abandoned, burned out houses here. But they're empty. No ones going to jump out and rob you because they just aren't there. The remaining neighborhoods which are occupied run the typical gamut from rich to crack-infested. There are a lot of homes here that have no chance of being repaired and just need to be demolished. What seems to be happening is islands of stable neighborhoods are forming in middle of meadows where more houses used to be. Some of these are being used as gardens, but most are just going back to nature. It will be very interesting to see where Detroit goes. I would settle here in a heartbeat if DH wasn't a winter weather hater. Here are some of the things I love about Detroit:
1) Strong DIY culture. Make it yourself or buy local. There just aren't many national chain kind of places around. Good if you like homemade, bad if you like made in china. For similar reasons, there seems to be a higher level of self employed and small business people here.

2) Greenspace. Those demolished houses? Now they're empty lots going back to nature or occasionally being mowed. The city will lease you land for free to garden if you agree to maintain it. Belle isle is a beautiful park in the middle of the river.

3) Incredibly cheap land. Buy a house that's in terrible shape in the ghetto for $1000 and back taxes. Or buy a 1910 mansion in good shape in a neighborhood with private security service for $100000. Of course there's a range in between, but it's all cheap. Even out in the burbs is cheap.

4) Climate. I'll take December in Michigan over August in Georgia any time, but I have a feeling many people will disagree with this one. ;)

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

@S: "The city will lease you land for free to garden if you agree to maintain it. " Do you have any information on this? That sounds great!

S

Post by S »

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@JerseyGirl
That experience was quite a while ago, I was young and pretty dumb. I don't know, the whole city just gave me this absolute creeped out feeling. We were relocating vehicles, which means one driver per vehicle, and we were instructed to drive with a pretty dispersed convoy distance between us. The Hummer at that time was also a new vehicle, and one of the first times I had driven one, and if your familiar with your first drive in one, it is similar to driving boxcar that just fits on the roadway lane. It was getting on dusk that evening, and even when I was young, I don't seem to see all that well on blacktop at dark. I remember people speeding all around us, and flipping us off and calling us killers and things (not unusual most anywhere).

It is just an experience that I logged up there in my "uneasy" catagory.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@S

I am 100% behind you with prefering winters in the north to summers in the south. All you do when you move south is change the time of year you stay indoors. Instead of being inside in January you are inside in August.
Detroit sounds like it looks like all the other rust belt cities, just with a ton more abandoned buildings. All of those cities were built 50-100 years ago, so even if the buildings are taken care of they still look old and used (which they are). Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc. all look the same in some areas. It also makes nice housing affordable compared to the newer or bigger cities.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I grew up in Detroit, and I'm currently just outside the city as I vacation here in Michigan to see family. I was in the Detroit area earlier today for some career training. My opinion on Detroit is pretty much all negative, so I'll spare everyone the details. As far as I'm concerned, the entire city could be demolished. I grew up there and have been back many times since and it continues to decay every time I go back. I'm glad the city government is finally coming to terms with Detroit being a smaller city.
On the weather note, I'm glad I moved to Florida. :)

hickchick

Post by hickchick »

I'm part of the northern winter over a southern summer camp, although setting the thermostat at 60 in an 85 year old house is brutal.
When I was in Detroit in 2003 they advised us not to leave the hotel after sundown. Not alone, not in small groups, maybe in a large group if you were feeling brave. Of course, people love to get with the fear mongering.

Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

I like cold winters... for about a week. Then I'm over it. But I wear sweaters in 70s-80s temperatures...
Fear mongering. They pull the same stuff regarding Oakland. Every other person I talk to about the area writes it off as dangerous. Of course, those same people are usually the safety-seeking/uninteresting types.

djc

Post by djc »

@Chad,
Actually Cleveland is pretty nice and safe. We just spent Saturday afternoon at the West Side Market/Ohio City area and really enjoyed a live concert and just hanging out. The restaurants are full and there were a ton of families enjoying the day.
I do agree with most posters that Detroit is pretty scary---at least it was when I was there several years ago.
djc

chilly

Post by chilly »

I have no first hand experience, and I do agree (with @hickchick) that people love the fear mongering nowadays. That said, I usually look at city-data.com as a 50k ft thumbsuck idea what a place might be like. Detroit has some pretty monstrous per-capita crime statistics. It's actually the single worst place I've ever looked up (worse than Compton CA). There's obviously a lot of variabilty in such numbers (who's killing who, and where specifically - for example), but it's generally not a good sign.