Supreme Court ruling on Trump Financial Records

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Lucky C

Supreme Court ruling on Trump Financial Records

Post by Lucky C »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/0 ... rds-353428
The Supreme Court is set to unveil its decision on Thursday about whether Congress gets to see President Donald Trump’s tax returns and financial records, a ruling that could reshape the balance of power between lawmakers and the White House in the most dramatic way since Watergate.
The justices are also set to rule on grand jury subpoenas that a Manhattan prosecutor is using to demand many of the same tax and financial records in a criminal investigation that appears to be focused on the tax practices of Trump’s business empire.
Place your bets.

ertyu

Re: Supreme Court ruling on Trump Financial Records

Post by ertyu »

They’re in his pocket. I bet status quo.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

I'll take a guess, with very low confidence in my prediction, that it will be 5-4 ruling to release the tax returns and other financial records (Roberts and the 4 "liberal" justices voting to uphold the lower courts' decisions).

Per the article, Thomas and Alito seem like they will solidly vote in favor of Trump. The other three Republican appointees did not sound so certain, but of course Gorsuch and Kavanaugh were appointed by Trump so they want to at least sound unbiased during arguments. Roberts has recently ruled against Trump's policies, and Trump's agenda is generally losing momentum, so the 5-4 against Trump wouldn't surprise me. Then again the opposite wouldn't surprise me either. 6-3 or 7-2 against Trump seem like possible outcomes. A unanimous vote would be very surprising, I think.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

7-2 in favor of Manhattan DA getting Trump's records (Thomas and Alito being the 2)

7-2 in favor of Trump shielding his records from the House of Representatives.
- but sending it back down to lower courts

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Pardon me for not betting but anyone wanting to contest any election here has to publicize income-tax returns for the last 5 years of self, spouse and dependents. This is done via an affidavit, so the judiciary is involved, which includes the asset allocation (domestic & intl), education and criminal record but apart from the criminal record the other two are difficult to verify.

It is interesting to contrast and compare what is regulated where. I couldn't relate to the water thread because all water is free here which has its own disadvantages like depleting water tables.