NZ Shooter used the term overton window in manifesto

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Jason

Re: NZ Shooter used the term overton window in manifesto

Post by Jason »

fiby41 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:20 pm
Fun facts:
UN finds that US forces killed more Afghan civilians than
Taliban and ISIS did so far in 2019
https://unama.unmissions.org/protection ... ns-reports

Kabul was last of the Central Asian kingdoms to fall to Islamic conversion which was until the 11th century run by people who called themselves the Hindushahis.
Thanks for the updates. But I don't see the connection to office supplies.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

fiby41 wrote:
Fun facts:
Thanks for linking that. Are you attributing all casualties attributed to pro-government forces to US forces to arrive at that conclusion? Even if all international military force casualties are attributed to the US (I don't know if that is true or not, but it is a NATO mission) the deaths are still less (not by a whole lot) than those attributed to the Taliban. Still, far more than anyone would want to see, no doubt.

As far as I know ISIS has no presence in Afghanistan. If similar data is compiled for Syria and Iraq comparisons can be made. I fear the alleged ISIS tactic of using non-combatants as human shields might make the numbers grim.
Last edited by IlliniDave on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

fiby41 wrote:
Fun facts:
Using the numbers from the report, this is untrue.

It attributes 146 deaths (232 total civilian casualties) to International Military Forces, and 43 deaths (214 total) to ISIS, and 173 deaths (698 total) to the Taliban.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

IlliniDave wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:06 pm
Thanks for linking that. Are you attributing all casualties attributed to pro-government forces to US forces to arrive at that conclusion? Even if all international military force casualties are attributed to the US (I don't know if that is true or not) the deaths are still less (not by a whole lot) than those attributed to the Taliban. Still, far more than anyone would want to see, no doubt.

As far as I know ISIS has no presence in Afghanistan. If similar data is compiled for Syria and Iraq comparisons can be made. I fear with the alleged ISIS tactic of of using non-combatants as human shields might make the numbers grim.
An ISIS franchise has been operating in Afghanistan for years. Even before that, though, the Anti-Government Forces, as the report calls them, frequently attack from populated areas hoping that return fire will kill civilians.
Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:16 pm
An ISIS franchise has been operating in Afghanistan for years.
Is that the Daesh/ISKP mentioned in the report? I didn't know they were linked to ISIS.

niemand

Post by niemand »

Daesh = ad-Doulah al-Aslamiya fil-Eraq wa-Sham = the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria = ISIS
Not overly interested in Middle East goings-on anymore, but used to speak Arabic reasonably well back in the day.