Sam Harris - Idiot?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
trfie

Re: Sam Harris - Idiot?

Post by trfie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Campitor wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:26 pm

[*]Dr. Ardnt, who was Harvard Medical graduate, walked out of a spinal surgery he was performing to cash his check.[/list]
I think Ardnt was addicted to drugs and there was a question of him owing someone, plus other random stuff that was going on.

trfie

Re: Sam Harris - Idiot?

Post by trfie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:36 pm

ZAFCorrection wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:44 pm
I am just judging Sam Harris off one data point, but I remember watching one of his videos in the mid-2000s where he was talking about the basis of morality. It was something about maximizing well-being. Then he threw up a slide of some woman wearing a hijab, or whatever, and simply stated something like "this clearly doesn't maximize well-being." Point being made to a predominately white (read: non-muslim) western audience, he moved on. It was breathtakingly sloppy reasoning (maybe she was wearing it because it was sunny outside?), so haven't looked at him much since. But now he is IDW bonafide, so maybe useful stuff exists.
Similar experience to me, someone I knew was impressed about his free will argument. I watched a presentation he gave and I found the reasoning incredibly sloppy. Have not paid much attention since.