Medical Tourism

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
hickchick

Post by hickchick »

What with my distrust of authority figures and all, I would have no problem going to a less expensive country to have a necessary medical procedure (provided it could be scheduled that far in advance).
Anyone else? Or would you absolutely only do your doctoring at home?

Chad

Post by Chad »

I would prefer my doctoring at home. It's hard enough to monitor your care when you both speak the same native language, let alone when no one speaks it as their first language.

hickchick

Post by hickchick »

My husband is with you guys. I figure why recuperate in a lame-o American hospital when you could be sitting on the beach?

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

Jay & Amy just wrote about this. Here's their trip to Mexico for a cheap dentist.

pliglee

Post by pliglee »

I'd go to Costa Rica. There are some excellent clinics and most of the physicians speak fluent English. Both the physicians and the government there really want the business from Americans.

Windfeld

Post by Windfeld »

Do it guys, just do it.
As a dentist I know there is rarely any meaningfull price-quality relationship. At my clinic we are doing crowns and bridges at 40% the normal rate - and we're better.
Why are we better? Lots of reasons, the main one being: We practice more because of the low rates. Prep'ing for 3-10 crowns a day compared to the usual once a week makes me an expert by volume alone.
Remember that medical professionals are never educated in economics.