ERE vs Minimalism

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Jean

Re: ERE vs Minimalism

Post by Jean »

I learned last week that a lot of our DNA is junk coding proteins that used to be usefull eons ago, and which might become usefull again, but which for now only take up space.
We might one day recode ourself with only the part that are usefull now. Those will be really minimalist humans, but without any genetic adaptability without engineering. While we can just have alot of offsrping, and some might have a mutation that reactivate an old gene, and if it's for a protein that became vitale, this offspring will survive.
We all are covering for some set of possibilities. Misadapted people are life's life insurance.
I own a lot of junk, but it frees me from needing to control my environment and allows me to adapt to it.
Owning little junk allows you to move quickly to a better environment.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

prognastat wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 pm
Well in that case you could always go the MMM route and say that's business clutter and that outside of the business in your personal life you are living very minimalist.
I had that problem for a while, I'd trimmed my personal expenditure to the bone only to find that I'd offset some of that with "business" spending.

Jason

Post by Jason »

prognastat wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 pm
Well in that case you could always go the MMM route and say that's business clutter and that outside of the business in your personal life you are living very minimalist.
MMM divorcing his business from his personal life? Who would have thunk.

iopsi

Post by iopsi »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:54 pm
What if somebody started from absolute scratch, like the Primitive Technology Guy or the How to Make Everything Guy, and ended up with some sort of moderately highly developed collection of stuff in their compound? Would they still be considered a minimalist?

I'm going through one of my minimalist phases, mostly because I don't know where I want to land, but I actually would kind of like to own a junkyard someday, so I don't really consider myself to be a minimalist.
Someone like that might be considered to have minimalist methods i guess? I.e creating everything from their building blocks.

An example i can think of is minimalist weight training: it is minimalist regarding exercise selection, but the training program might be very high volume (therefore not minimalistic at all regarding the amount of reps per week for example).

bw_

Post by bw_ »

Jason wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:41 am
The other day I was kind of driven off the road by a guy in a "fancy" car. I swore to myself "Fancy Ass Car Driving Douche" Then I realized I could "afford" the car he was driving, maybe even more than he could. It was a realization. I could be that douche. It felt good. Then a cop pulled me over and gave me a $200 speeding ticket which pretty much ended the matter.
I was ahead of, and driving too close to the speed limit, for that fancy car douche, --whose car I could have paid cash for, but why would I choose to own such a thing??-- I ended up doing something stupid because of my state of mind, and crashed the car. After an expensive repair, I am much more dedicated to minimalism and less driving, especially of the frivolous kind that led to the crash.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Understood.