Tobacco

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

You can grow your own too, Wolf. Almost anywhere in the US. My friend in VT, about an hour south of Canada, grows tons of it. He has to start the seedlings indoors, but by late September he's got more than he knows what to do with. When it's only enough for yourself, it's not that big of a chore either.
Plus, there's something about seeing the plant sprouting out of the ground that tends to make the vehement anti-tobacconists back off a little. Instead of associating the plant with a giant, lying corporation that kills gullible people, it instead looks just as benign as the cucumber it's growing next to.
@surio I don't see how growing your own tobacco and rolling a cigar from it is antithetical to ERE. Early retirement and financial independence isn't only about denying yourself things for the future or trying to live to be 100, a big part of it is also about living the best life possible. And believe me, I'm indulging in lots of other things too ;-)
@wolf I don't think of smoking as an "imperfection". If I did, I wouldn't do it. For me, it's just something where the value of the enjoyment I get from the experience outweighs the risk I'm incurring. I'm aware that most smokers aren't like that. Most either "want" to stop, but don't. Or they are just very poor at judging the future value of things. It's tough to get someone to not do something when the real consequences of it won't have to be faced for another 40 years. But I'm pretty good at appreciating the future value of things, which is why I'm a good saver, and why I smoke with extreme moderation, and why I avoid lots of other risks that most people take on without batting an eye.
@cestlavie Thank you I will!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Sorry---But I just have to inject this story.
Circa 1955 (about), mom takes little HSpencer to visit Uncle Ed in the St Edwards Mercy Hospital. Visualize the stiffy white uniforms and stark everything. Gray metal furniture too.

(BTW this type of metal furniture is now called "Mid Century", and is very sought after by antique collectors.) Back to story. Little Herbert in hand, mom enters the hospital room and finds the chair, I stand by the window. First thing mom does is fiddle for a cigarette. The ash tray is on Uncle Ed's bedside table. Mom pulls up to the table so the ash tray is shared with Uncle Ed who is lying in bed smoking one. The window is open as there is no A/C in those days. Out in the hall, a couple of nurses are hanging on the coffee pot, also having a smoke. If the doctor came in He (few women Drs then) just may have lighted one up himself.
Odd, isn't it? Now vs "smoke free" campuses at hospitals.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I used to smoke cigars regularly, and I used to smoke relatively expensive cigars. I used to enjoy Padron 1964/1926 series, Opus X, Cohiba, Bolivar, etc.
I don't really care too much about the health risks or smell, it's simply the cost that keeps me away. A nice box of Padron 1964 Exclusivo would set me back well over $200, especially after the recent tax increase. Cuban Cohiba Robustos would be over $300. You get the picture.
Simply too much money for me to spend on the hobby and still pursue ERE. I haven't smoked a cigar in quite some time and it is a little sad. We have a really nice cigar bar here in town that I may visit sometime soon.
If anyone suggests smoking cheaper cigars..I have expensive tastes, unfortunately. I've tried bundled stuff, Consuegras and the like. No, thanks. I'd rather not smoke cigars than smoke cheap cigars. Champagne taste on a beer budget!!

jmed

Post by jmed »

mikeBOS:
Just some anecdotal data for you... a pal of mine, under 40, who smokes cigars "occasionally", just had to have his jaw bone split open like the Predator and half his tongue/gums removed due to cancer. Cigars seem to be a good bit worse than cigarettes.
With respect to red meat - red meat isn't bad for you. You're a reader, look into it a bit, I'm sure you'll uncover the BS about red meat and saturated fat. I'll shoot over some references if you want.

csdx

Post by csdx »

Smoking isn't something I think is a priori bad, but often my issue is more with how the habit is typically done/portrayed. Smoking the way MikeBOS describes it is kind of how I picture an 'ideal' smoking habit. As it's been previously compared to overeating. There's nothing wrong with having a slice of cheesecake (or insert your own unhealthy food) every so often, but taking a break every hour to wolf down a piece and eating 2 cakes a day is hardly a good thing. Though I suppose it's true enough you can go ahead and do it if that's your thing.
Though in all honestly I find that I will make judgments about it. I think this is because I don't usually hang around smokers (being someone who doesn't), thus if I am likely to notice smoking or the effects of it, it will mostly be in a negative situation. For example, I might see someone flick a butt out on the street, or encounter second hand smoke when I wasn't expecting it. So despite the fact that there are probably many responsible smokers the experiences I do have tend to color my unconscious representation of the group as a whole
As to my personal experiences, I've only had few smokes in my life (and half of those weren't the tobacco kind). I've never learned to enjoy smoking for it's own sake. Most of the time it was going out for a smoke with a cute girl, and I gotta say, smoking wasn't really my primary motivation there.