Luka Modric

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Peanut

Luka Modric

Post by Peanut »

Thought someone on the forum must know the background to this--this being why Modric perjured himself to (I'm guessing) protect Mamic? Especially when Mamic was already convicted? It seems to me from the couple articles I read that Mamic was grossly corrupt and young players played his game to progress (except Kramaric, of course). If that's true then you would think the players don't really deserve condemnation and wouldn't be subject to it. So why would they stop cooperating with the authorities when they seem to have everything to lose? Pressure from the president to cover-up for her associates? I assume even if found guilty Modric would never serve time. More likely he'll get a (corrupt?) presidential pardon. Such a fascinating case to me, especially in light of the team's incredible success so far.

jennypenny

Re: Luka Modric

Post by jennypenny »

I read an article about the team (sorry, can't find it now) describing how the players are the 'children of wartime' and that's why they are so successful. I'm assuming Modric did it out of fear. He grew up in horrible conditions and saw many family members murdered during the war. I can see him rationalizing that he's protecting himself and his family.

It's possible that Mamic is paying Modric to keep quiet. Even though Mamic has arguably stolen a lot of money from Modric, Modric has a reputation of being a low-key superstar who doesn't need a large bankroll to support his lifestyle.Honestly, I'm not going to judge him too harshly. If you grew up as a refugee, I can see how you might feel loyalty to the person who helped you out of that situation.

Take my sympathy with a grain of salt, though. I'm a Lovren fangirl and picked them to win at the beginning of the tournament.

Peanut

Re: Luka Modric

Post by Peanut »

Interesting theory. Maybe Modric was threatened somehow, rather than persuaded? If this guy Mamic is as corrupt as he seems he may well have mafia-type connections. I don't think money would have made him turn. He makes millions at Real Madrid anyway.

No Croats on the forum it appears.
jennypenny wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:54 am

Take my sympathy with a grain of salt, though. I'm a Lovren fangirl and picked them to win at the beginning of the tournament.
AKA "the best defender in the world" haha. Good luck on Sunday! Hope you win some dosh.