COVID topic vol 2

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
7Wannabe5

Re: COVID topic vol 2

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

It’s hard to be a moderate or somebody who likes to visit all the different lunch tables these-a-days. Nobody has cut me off yet, but I have been yelled at by friends of highly varying viewpoints to the extent that I am in avoidant mode myself. It puts me in mind of descriptions of deteriorating social relationships prior to WW1. Odd coincidence that we also have an epidemic. I felt like total crud for 2 days and semi-crud for over a week after Moderna second dose. Headache was worst symptom.

nomadscientist

Post by nomadscientist »

Were Americans cutting each other off over WWI?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@nomadscientist:

No, more like an affluent American hostess of that era may have found herself confused over difficulties related to previously amiable European house guests. One of my new neighbors was recently clearly attempting to suss out my political affiliation during what started out as a casual conversation about black walnut processing, and I had to fluff him off with “Unfortunately, we do seem to be living in interesting times.” END DIVERSION INTO POLITICS

Frita

Post by Frita »

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:15 pm
Yes, it is sad how much vehement polarization there is. Maybe I am naive to think there is room for disagreement in a friendship.
Agreed but probably only with the highest level of friendships based on mutual respect and admiration (Nod to the Stoa on highlighting Aristotle’s three levels of friendships on another thread I didn’t link.). It seems during these strange times of increased social isolation and political polarization, we’re discovering we have more lower level friends than originally thought.

Interesting following the different reactions to vaccines...we had Pfizer due to concern of having a bad reaction to Modern and uncertainty about the one dose J&J. Results:
•We all had injection soreness, more so for my spouse and my second shots. The pharmacist gave our injections more in the top of our shoulders (My advice is do not allow this.).
• My spouse and I got our second shots on April 20th. He had vertigo after the first shot. A day after the second shot, I had a wicked headache, a combination of something like a migraine with visual auras/nausea/body aches. It slowly eased up to being tolerable and then went away.
• Our teen had his second shot on April 25. Within 12 hours he was projectile vomiting, extremely fatigued with headache, slept all day, and he missed a day of school(!).

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

I am pretty darn conservative and manage to have several close friends who are VERY liberal. We pretty much agree to discuss only things we agree on or at least aren't points of serious contention (literature, games, movies, kids, etc.). It helps that I'm an environmentalist-conservative, so we have a few points of commonality that bridge the gap.

Conversely, internet conversations with folks of different political stripes are becoming increasingly difficult to have at a reasonable volume (except on here).

J_

Post by J_ »

I have had my first vaccination (pfizer). About 4 days later: rather strong vertigo for 4 other days.
Look like the same as @Frita's husband. Now, 12 days later, it seems to wane.