Ikigai, A Japanese concept meaning "reason for being"

Favorite quotations, etc.
Farm_or

Re: Ikigai, A Japanese concept meaning "reason for being"

Post by Farm_or » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 am

"Love is a verb." This brings back the story of my friend's last moments with his wife as she was dying from breast cancer.

She cried as she related how much she loved him for being with her. And she told him that she regretted not doing more for him when she was able bodied.

He told me that love is action. He explained his perspectives and that it was not something mystical or abstract. It was a heart wrenching story. Very impactful, and it regularly reminded me to do my very best particularly for loved ones. But I thought about it for years afterwards. I think he got it half right?

Paula

Post by Paula » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Campitor wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 pm
It seems that if you live in the present and adhere to stoic principles, Ikigai is realized. Sometimes I think these types of diagrams are trying to perpetuate the idea of perfection. To a stoic perfection doesn't exist - self improvement is the challenge therefore perfection isn't a goal to strive for - to reach perfection is to stop living.
+1

I've had a few promotions that where initially a cause for celebration but ended up leaving me comfortable but empty. I also had an unexpected change that left me feeling surprisingly satisfied but somewhat useless. This little chart suggests ways to act on those common negative feelings.

It may be more useful for those who are closer to retirement as they have more control over what they do.

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Tue May 29, 2018 6:54 pm

This is great.
Now I need to know why the world needs software...