Oldest surviving paper in central asia

Favorite quotations, etc.
Augustus

Oldest surviving paper in central asia

Post by Augustus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:52 pm

"I would rather be a dog's or a pig's wife than yours!" It's funny to think of what will survive us.

http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/silk-road-112.html

CS

Re: Oldest surviving paper in central asia

Post by CS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:00 pm

That is eye opening. Poor woman.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

My bet is on toilet bowls.

They're ubiquitous, large (as far as artifacts go), hard to destroy/pulverize (just try it, wear safety glasses), and ceramic. Far more robust and widely distributed than Roman pottery.

Another long-bet is the unnatural distribution of CO2 [carbon isotopes] in the atmosphere. Future generations might wonder where-the-fuck (WTF but with where) that came from? Answer: Essentially due to two weird behaviors of the 20th and 21st century: atmospheric nuclear testing (high C14) and fossil fuel emissions (low C14). If they try to carbon-date our civilization (and don't have detailed records from our present time) they'll be mightily confused by the admixture of bomb-carbon from nuclear tests which makes everything look way younger than it is and fossil-carbon which makes everything look way older (Suess effect). We're talking high-hundreds to low-thousands of years of miss-dating.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Or flint-knapping, apparently we have created a lot more flint tools in the last couple of decades than during the whole of our previous history.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Toilet bowls would be hilarious. It would be really funny if Trumps Twitter feed was all that survived or something similar. "It appears that this century put more emphasis on pooping than infrastructure, their pooping bowls were built to last and outlived any of their other structures"

That letter cracks me up because it's so human, how much more human can you get than a man disappointing a woman and getting a scorching rebuke?

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:33 am

I shot a toilet bowl with a .22 rifle once when I was a kid. The bullet ricocheted past my head as the bullet followed the curvature the bowl and spit the bullet back at me. I learned a lesson that day. Don't mess with the pooping bowls. :D