I love trash

Favorite quotations, etc.
murpheyw

Post by murpheyw »

I just finished watching a great ERE related film.
I Love Trash
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/i_love_trash/
Seems I may have found a hobby for some of my free time. :)

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

No doubt a lot of good stuff goes out with the trash. Partly because when something is bought to replace an item, the trash pickup is the quickest and easiest way to make room for the new purchase. This is under the heading of laziness and wastefulness.
I have seen people move away and leave whole apartments full of furniture and other household items. Some of these tenants left in the middle of the night. I used to keep a storage building to put the usable items in. That way if a new tenant moved in and was short something, I could usually give it to them. The worst offenders were families cleaning out apartments after a parent or relative had died. They would stack very good items by my dumpster for the trash pickup guys. I would move some of it to the storage building. I had also, an inventory of walkers, bed side commodes, quad-canes, shower stools, and lots of other things Medicare had bought. Some of it nearly new. I even had a complete hospital bed in great condition.

I have seen nearly everything a dumpster has to offer. The good, the bad, and yes, the ugly. I will never forget when a particular tenant died and his children put about 10 years worth of Playboy magazines in the dumpster. I left those for the trash pickup guys---they work hard and need a break now and then!!!!

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I love lamp!

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hola,

if you like trash, don't miss this great source of info!
http://trashwiki.org/en/Main_Page
:)

D

B

Post by B »

Very interesting movie. I believe it is certainly possible to live on what we throw out as waste - I have no doubt that first world capitalism is very wasteful. However, I think that you already have to believe that to enjoy this film. I'd hate to say one must pander to the "norms" but preaching to the choir or easily converted really reduces the impact of films like these.
In particular, some of the interviews undermined the credibility of the message.

akratic

Post by akratic »

If someone edited this down to the best five minutes it would actually be pretty awesome.
it's like negative consumption
people are slaving away 40 hours a week to buy this plastic crap and then they throw it away and you get it for free

AnneBentham

Post by AnneBentham »

This was fun to watch. Now I feel inspired to get serious about dumpster diving.