Intersections

Favorite quotations, etc.
Dragline

Intersections

Post by Dragline »

This covers and synthesizes a number of topics we've discussed here from Seligman's Book to Stoicism to psychology to the purpose of philosophy to the usefulness of religion. This is one of those things that when I read it, I said yeah, that's kind of how I think and I wish I could have articulated it like that:

http://esrquaker.blogspot.ca/2014/09/ph ... cient.html

" I’ve tried to combine the elements from the ancient philosophical practices with what I understand to have been happening in the communities of Paul into a social community website with these six alliterated elements:

EDUCATION
Learning how to think about the world, your place in it, and what it is you want to become.

EXPERIENCE
Developing a world-wide community of friendship with people who also are serious about making progress toward experiencing a flourishing life.

EXCHANGE
Encouraging each other, discussing important issues related to living a philosophical life, sharing experiences, learning from each other, becoming people who can guide the souls of others to maturity.

EXERCISE
Contemplating on a collection of wisdom from a variety of ancient sources (Paul of Tarsus, Jesus of Nazareth, Epictetus, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, etc.) who provide instructions on philosophical exercises and moral advice on how to live strong, independent, and meaningful lives.

ENGAGEMENT
Engaging in life and staying in contact with the Soul Share community.

EXAMINATION
Periodically assessing your progress including your mental life, your relationship with others and the world, coping with circumstances of life, your self-sufficiency, self-control, tranquility, and the level of happiness/flourishing you are experiencing in life."

Ego

Re: Intersections

Post by Ego »

Interesting. Philosophical practice is something we should all be doing regularly. He does an excellent job of explaining why that is.

“Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.” Eleonor Roosevelt.

He mentions Stoic Week, which I hope to participate in this year. It will happen November 24th-30th.

http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/