ERE on INTJs

Favorite quotations, etc.
Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

"I don’t want anyone to live for my sake, nor do I want to live for the sake of someone else."
-ERE, in a comment to his 11 JUL 2010 post on personality
--------
I quote ERE here because on occasion (about once every 1-3 months), he closes out a point with a line that resonates well with my own INTJ sentiments.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

And that line was shamelessly stolen from Ayn Rand.

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

Maybe that's why it felt so familiar then. My Ayn Rand consumption thus far has been Anthem and Fountainhead. I know what's on my reading list next.

Maus

Post by Maus »

And it might be a fine sentiment, depending upon how "for the sake of someone else" is defined. Lucifer was cast down for uttering "Non serviam! (I will not serve.) But is choosing to accomodate a beloved spouse or child precluded by Rand's saying? Love can motivate some very profound sacrifices without requiring us to sacrifice our very selves. As an ENTX, I take it to mean refusing to grant authority to anyone without reason. Titles (boss, parent, president) and the exercise of arbitary power have no role in determining my will.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I think that statement is mainly seen as a response to altruism. The Randian statement comes from someone who values independence highly (give me liberty or give me death), which is a strong INTJ trait, whereas the altruistic position values interdependence highly.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

INTJ are the most individualistic of all types supposedly... Any other libertarians?
Most of the internet stuff on INTJs is overwhelmingly positive. Here are some negatives for your growth and enjoyment:

http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ_per.html
"May see so many tangents everywhere that they can't stay focused on the bottom line or the big picture." That is big one for me.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it freely, and in English, thank the US Military.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

@HSpencer: Don't parents generally teach reading?

RobBennett

Post by RobBennett »

"The Randian statement comes from someone who values independence highly (give me liberty or give me death), which is a strong INTJ trait, whereas the altruistic position values interdependence highly."
I love Ayn Rand's work. I think she made a huge contribution. I think her books are a kick.
I also think she is wrong about lots of stuff. I think the world is big enough to hold those of us who value interdependence AND those of us who value independence.
I would put myself (I am an INFJ) down as someone who values both. I don't see it as an either/or.
For example, I am a big believer in free speech. That is a libertarian/independent position. But I make an effort never to use my freedom of speech to hurt others. That's an interdependent position. Some libertarians would agree that we need to limit our use of free speech (and that we should criticize those who fail to do so). But some would not. Some have an "anything goes" philosophy.
There was one guy who said to me on an internet discussion that on the internet it is all ones and zeros, so there is no need to take into consideration how what we say affects other humans. I view that as a rationalization. The guy is giving freedom to his dark side rather than to any desire to be constructive or creative.
Rob

WillyBLaw

Post by WillyBLaw »

I'm an INTJ, teetering on the edge of an ENTJ. As far as any differences between me and the archetypal INTJ, I'm much more empathetic than usually described.