Extreme Cheapskates Television Show

Favorite quotations, etc.
sdmdwct

Post by sdmdwct »

Hello All:
Apparently the show "Extreme Cheapskates" premieres on television tonight. I'm too cheap to have cable, so I can't partake in this programming, but below is a clip from the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nGw69Gew20
The first guy is kind of confusing. He claims he "saves" $80 a year poaching ketchup from restaurants. I'm not sure how this is possible as you would have to go through 30+ bottles a year to account for this number. Looking at his lifestyle, he also uses a Keurig coffee machine (which from my calculations is an expensive way to drink coffee) and drives a Honda SUV.
The women in the below clip appears to be a little bit more legitimate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68tH-ln ... re=related
The below articles has a bit more information on this woman's budget
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/she_ ... YgxoIVLwON
Thought that all of this would be of interest!

george

Post by george »

What lovely people
Thanks for posting this.
i don't understand why people criticise them
I do feel sorry for the single lady who seems motivated by fear.
I was brought up this way and to a large degree still live it.
My mother makes about 6 cups of tea each day from one tea bag, then throws the tea on the garden.
When anyone visits first question is "shall I put a cup in the microwave".
I noticed these people don't seem to be hoarders, my parents were, but thankfully have changed.
I notice now in laws who used to judge her, instead we all laugh about it, including mum. Perhaps after 20 years they've opened their minds.

44deagle

Post by 44deagle »

These people have it backwards. The stuff you wanna be frugal about are your house and transportation. Once you have those out of the way you can live a good life on very little money. The one guy was reusing paper towels and splitting 2-ply toilet paper... insane.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I wonder if that was the same show someone tried to recruit me for last year. I declined.
In any case, which is more likely to appear on the media and more importantly their sponsors:
1) A piece showing how to save tens of thousands of dollars every year by making a few strategic choices in terms of housing size and location, and only buying new things to replace broken things?
2) A piece showing crazy people reusing their toilet paper and living off of ketchup.
Which program would resonate with the advertisers? Which program would be more popular with consumers?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yeah that's a great business model.... stoking status anxiety by making fun of frugal people in order to sell non-frugal people stuff they don't need.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

I'm always amazed at how these shows about people living at opposite ends of the economic extremes are tailored to make middle class people feel intense status consciousness. There was a great article online (sorry, can't find it) about how the new "Honey Boo Boo child" show was in a long line of shows about "white trash" that make the middle class feel comfortable about their own social position.
Cribs, Real Housewives, Jersey Shore, Extreme Couponing, and now this are all about making middle class people simultaneously feel good about their complacency in the rat race and anxious about not being sufficiently positioned in the rat race. What's amazing is that these shows inspire both conflicting emotions so effectively.

george

Post by george »

Definition of crazy....
I guess for people who have experienced starting with nothing and/or losing everything through the economic recession/ disaster. That would be understanding whats important to them, but living a different lifestyle in order not to be judged.
And helping others to live this sort of lifestyle, in order for them to just get though a crisis, and letting people judge this behaviour as crazy.
I realise this show is about sensationalism, it also might open some peoples eyes. And these days I don't see many shows with high ratings that don't push the boat out in some way.
I think there all all sorts of people on this forum. Those that are happy to focus on investing and/or housing and/or disposables. Mixture of all.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I steal toilet paper from work. Saves me $1200 per month.

Ego

Post by Ego »

secretwealth, if you come across that article please post it. It is an interesting idea, that we're purposely exhibiting the most miserable among us so that we can say, "At least....", then feel okay about shuffling off to a miserable job tomorrow.

44deagle

Post by 44deagle »

Jacob makes a good point. The show isn't about helping anyone live frugally. Just about serving the purpose of generating eyeballs to watch the show. I could obviously tell from watching that it was scripted.
It's too bad the fundamentals of this site and ERE people in general wasn't represented in the show.
Well, maybe it's a good thing. Somebody has to be out there providing the energy for returns on investment. But then again, not every investment is a zero-sum game... or is it?

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

@dragoncar: ha ha ha. I'm guessing your toilet paper is gilded, or made from feathers of the hummingbird... :-)
I guess you're right. TV shows are "sold" to the average viewer who probably is a middle-aged person with 1.7 kids, 3.2 problems on her mind and $240 in the bank account right now that has to last until October 30th...
It would be fun to make a tv channel especially for rich people. On the other hand, those rich people probably have little time to watch tv, do they? Better and/or more fun things to do...

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

I watched part of the program with Ms. Hashimoto, with whom I felt real sympathy, but couldn’t watch the two follow-ons, whose characters were portrayed more as chiselers and sleazes rather than cheapskates. And yes, all these types of shows are scripted; I know people who have appeared, and after screening for the subject problem or disorder, the show picks only those bits of reality that fit the storyline; the rest is made up. One gaffe I noticed was when a female guest, sickened by the thought of eating dumpster food, had to use the bathroom. No mention whatsoever that there was no toilet paper; maybe the camera crew lent her a roll.
But mostly I focused on the ads, since commercial television is an advertising medium; it exists to sell things, not to educate, inform or even to entertain. Sure enough, most of the ads were for luxury items, such as special shoes that magically and instantly transformed a Cinderella into a Princess :) Shows like this function as brush beaters do for the hunt; driving prey towards the nets. They sell weight loss programs on shows about the obese, cleaning products on shows about hoarders, insurance on shows about disasters. Maybe birth control on “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo”?
I liked Ms. Hashimoto, but these programs are designed as freak shows. Hard to blame them really. Given that they aired opposite the presidential debate, they faced stiff competition :)

irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

That guy was unbelievable in the show - asking other patrons for food - giving his woman a limp bunch of roses from the dumpster
Give him the heave-ho love - he is too miserly = and trying to fudge it off with his comedical ways - not all of us fell for that lol
I would 'demand' stamps feet...points finger... lol.... fresh flowers for birthdays or anniversaries, if that is her thing - a meal out and a weekend away - gee, if the Miser put away 5 dollars a week, he could treat his girl like a Queen
or probably easier for her - take him for a date to his favourite dumpster - preferably one outside Subway cause he sure needs some salad and vegies - and leave him there hehe

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

This is really sounding like something to avoid. But thanks for letting me know.

C40

Re: Extreme Cheapskates Television Show

Post by C40 »

HEY! This show is on Netflix now:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Extre ... d=13462100

I like it. It's actually done well and not just painting them as extremists. Of course, some of the things they do would not be for me - but I've seen a couple things and remembered I should consider them. I'm watching the first episode now.. It has Jeff Yeager (author of The Ultimate Cheapskate book.. he's definitely extreme and a bit odd - but funny)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Just watched the first episode...it's certainly extreme. I don't get the purpose though, much of what they do to save costs them much more than they are earning in terms of time (i.e. Jeff Yeager riding 40 miles on his bike and searching all over town to collect $7.50 in change).

C40

Post by C40 »

Yeah.. it gets old pretty fast..

I think the fact that it's going to be on TV and needs to be interesting to many people, it's going to have weird stuff on it.. It goes downhill quickly with the 2nd episode..

I imagine if they had many people from the forum here, the show would be fairly boring if they follow the same template. I live in a pretty normal house. I have a normal car. I have normal furniture. I spend my days doing fairly normal things. It's just I don't spend money at every turn. I suppose we could show them things like how to buy cheap clothes, tending gardens, buying stuff used from craigslist, living close to work, etc.. That could be very informative, but likely only entertaining for very small portion of potential viewers.

Edit - but even with horrible episodes there are gems of brilliance. Episode 3 has a guy that lives in a 3 bedroom condo for FREE in exchange for mowing the lawn. He has two room mates and they pay him rent!

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

firefighterjeff, Check out the moneyless guy.. he looks pretty good even though he's been dumpster diving for 10 years. Dumpster diving is pretty legit, but obviously takes work and figuring out how to get clean food.