Bhuddist take on Healthcare, Suffering & Death

Favorite quotations, etc.
classical_Liberal

Re: Bhuddist take on Healthcare, Suffering & Death

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@classical_liberal - You might find Kaikhosrov D Irani worth looking up, a late philosopher at city college in NY . He formulated a theory called Domains of Belief which argues that religion meets an essential need for people to seek significance in our existence. There is an excellent interview with him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyjL5jfMt8

I came from the reverse position in that I grew up in a somewhat strongly atheist household. When I was about 15 I grew very interested in religion, especially 'alternative religion', and read up on all sorts of interesting sects and cults, but reflexively dismissed them as irrational. 20 years later I've begun to explore it again. Reading some basic philosophy, especially Kantian, first took me to some dark places, but ultimately was helpful in pushing me into a spiritual search. I don't know whether I will ever commit to one path or just carry on with my Zoroastrian-Jain-Sikh hybrid, but for me religion is a private matter, I have no desire as yet to join any kind of group or organisation.

One thing I have learnt is that whilst religion to some extant can provide answers as to meaning and purpose, you have to avoid over-intellectualising. Accepting that there are certain things we can't fully know or understand, at least in this life.

conwy

Post by conwy »

chenda wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm
Accepting that there are certain things we can't fully know or understand, at least in this life.
Agree with this! I'd even prefer to enjoy and revel in the mystery.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »