ERE decision

Favorite quotations, etc.
george

Post by george »

The moment I ERE'd was when they offered me another job without telling me what it was, just assumed I'd be interested. So I left
Since then I've worked but it's always been on my terms so I had ERE'd.
Does anyone else have a moment when they realised that all the years of saving and simple living meant they had the freedom to ERE
or did you plan and then on the day you had enough, hand in your notice
or did you realise you love your job and keep working.
or......

m741

Post by m741 »

I'm approaching that point. I realized a month or two ago that if I were laid off, as long as I got the (rather generous) severance that's common at my company, I would be able to live a (almost Jacob-frugal) life without working. Felt good.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I haven't ERE'd.
In my opinion the technical definition of ERE is when investment/passive income is greater than expenses.
I probably won't quit right when I reach that point, I would feel better with some cushion, but... I do fantasize about the moment where I ask for a 1 year sabbatical, they say no, and I say "Oh, that's too bad, well I quit effective 4PM today. See ya!!!!" and fail to turn a single thing over to anyone :D

george

Post by george »

@Liquidsaphire
Agree with your definition.
I was there, the redundancy payout was exactly the amount I needed,.
if there was ever a sign that I should do something.
There is hope m741

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I probably would take the sabbatical (why not?) I'd still have access to health insurance that I might want (not sure if I'd have to pay the entire premium or not).
After a year, I could either have built such an awesome life that I could just not come back (they would have no recourse, really) or by then I would have been away from the field long enough that I could probably come back for another 6-12 months and do an OK job before just quitting for good (by then I'd be burned out again likely!).
It helps that I have no qualms about burning bridges at this stage or any sense of remaining loyalty; it's hard to be loyal to one of the largest bureaucracies on the planet and I don't particularly care for the people I work with within it either. So if I happened to reneg and not come back after 12 months, well, a few people might be upset, but they'd get over it, and the world wouldn't end.
Needless to say I still don't think they would allow it but maybe I might be surprised. They could probably find some retired person to pinch hit for a year if they were really motivated.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Not very ERE, but I travelled and lived in my van for 4 years. I would stop and work for a week or two and then at some point I would get irritated with the management or a coworker or the local clientele, or just get itchy feet, and I'd be like, "peace out, I'mma hit the road," usually feeling all superior cause I'd made enough money in a week or two to live on for a couple months.

FreeUrChains

Post by FreeUrChains »

I am still very young, so i would want a small coushin as well; however, Once i get to the Point for my future family's F.I. ($85,000/head count = $6,000/year@ 7% dividend portfolio) and had enough kids for a lifetime with my wife. Then, i would gradually take more and more time off, beginning with Mon and Friday's off (Like my semi-retired 50 year old engineer coworkers do now).
Sign Prenups of course. Especially since it's YOUR money, that you can decide whom to make F.I. or not.

FreeUrChains

Post by FreeUrChains »

I am still very young, so i would want a small coushin as well; however, Once i get to the Point for my future family's F.I. ($85,000/head count = $6,000/year@ 7% dividend portfolio) and had enough kids for a lifetime with my wife. Then, i would gradually take more and more time off, beginning with Mon and Friday's off (Like my semi-retired 50 year old engineer coworkers do now).
Sign Prenups of course. Especially since it's YOUR money, that you can decide whom to make F.I. or not.

BPA

Post by BPA »

I look forward to reading all of the posts here.
I could ERE now if absolutely necessary, but I am enjoying my work now.
For me it will come down to how long I am able to manage my anxiety problem. Currently, medication and exercise make it easier for meto work. Once I feel too overwhelmed, I plan to retire.