regret motivation

Favorite quotations, etc.
gawping

Post by gawping »

Tracked my spending devotedly this week. Massive blowout, doubled the budget. But I'm hoping this serves as greater motivation to meet or come under budget next week. I'm thinking that making spending vs self-restraint a game to win or lose each week keeps me more involved in the process and more motivated to continue, rather than just going on autopilot and waiting it out till some future date. Anybody else find this?

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I agree that treating it as a game can be fun and can help you "win" aka save money.
I was wondering whether a week is long enough to make a fair judgment of your budget? I work with months, and this helps a bit because I'll stock up during some weeks (which would mean going over budget) and then use up the stock in others. Also I have a lot of expenses during the last and first week of the month, most bills are paid then.

Skinnyneo

Post by Skinnyneo »

I think you have already made the greatest win! Just tracking your spending is such a huge step forward IMO. Now for the next week you can look at what you blew your money on target where to reduce your spending. The "game" is certainly long so even a blowout first week certainly doesn't keep you out in the long run. And, after all, your really only competing with yourself.