"After ERE"

Favorite quotations, etc.
J_

Post by J_ »

Live as an aristocrate
Jacob is now three years ERE, and his free way of life bears fruit. We see how much thinking power/craftdeveloping he has, now for himself and not for his former employer. We see it because he shares it with us, readers. He developed important and also other things. The outcome of it is an excelent book and, for example, a home made wooden rake. And there is possible more in the make.

I also note that he has mentioned that he now lives on only the halve of his proceeds from his fund cum annexis. I suppose not that he has become even more than ultra- frugal, but that his fund grows due to his his newly developed investment skills.
I am eleven years ER, and my free life bears fruit too. Last year I lived on a third of my yearly fund-proceeds. So my fund is automaticly growing. Before I know it, I will be as rich as Dagobert Duck ☺, but that is not intentional.
Apparantly, one learns a lot in the time to the ERE- moment: You learn to make the most out of one dollar, and the unimportantness of the Joneses.

And thereafter you can live as an aristocrate, who still uses his skills.
I have time to think, to study, to be there for family or friends if they need me, to enjoy life.
After ER I bought an appartment in rural UK, thereafter I changed to the south coast of the UK and sold the other one. After five years enjoying seakayaking, coastal walks and excelent piano lessons, I bought a house in the Netherlands and sold the UK one. Three years ago I bought a small appartment in the mountains of Austria. There I practise cross country-skiing in the sunny winters.
I selected the houses/appartments on how well they were situated, in a (small)town or (almost)rural. Not very expensive or big ones, but just perfect for a couple. And because I don't know beforehand how long I will live there, the selection is purely based on personal criteria: Walking distance for groceries and library. Nature on walking or cycling distance. Public transport. Quiet, good views, moderate climate.
When I live in a new country, I study the local laws, the language, how the fiscal system works. I meet the local people and learn their customs. I use my skills to improve the house if necessary.
When I sold them, one has added (substantial) to my fund, the other was neutral (but I lived there for free, that means I received the invested money + theoretical interest back.). We live now in the other ones, the one bedroom appartment in a village in the mountains of Austria, and a modest house on a canal, in the center of an old city in the Netherlands. The last one was a more or less derelict, listed monument when I bought it. Now it is a shining, more than four hundred years old house. It was a (sweaty) two year struggle when I (and my wife) restored it.

Two places to live, time to enjoy, it feels as living as an aristocrate, (who sometimes sweats).
Are there more after ERE stories?.

C40

Post by C40 »

Awesome!

m741

Post by m741 »

Nope. I think maybe 10% of the forum has retired at this point. But your lifestyle sounds wonderful, just what I'd love to do when I retire.

graynomad

Post by graynomad »

I'm 12 years ERE at present, but we took a different route. We sold our houses (3) built a motorhome and have been living on the road now for 10 years. (In Australia)
About 5 years ago we bought 25 acres of bush and every now and then we drop anchor on it for some R&R (very stressful this lifestyle :) We will probably settle on the land eventually and build a small house from a shipping container or two.
We may yet head back overseas, buy a camper, live in a country for a year, then sell camper sort of thing. Maybe not, I'm not convinced I can live as cheaply in other countries, I used to free camp just about anywhere in the UK, I'm not sure that's still possible. We even used to camp directly under the Eiffel Tower, I bet you can't do that any more.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Hi J_,
Could you maybe tell us how you got to ERE in the Netherlands? I'm living there too, but even with a fairly high income it seems difficult to do with the high taxes and fixed costs.

Country Hopper

Post by Country Hopper »

McTrex, I thought that J ERE'd before moving to the Netherlands?
I'm also in NL and finding it hard going with rent in particular and the lack of investment options. For now I'm just striving to increase my monthly savings/income % which stands at almost 40% with the aim of having enough to put a substantial down payment on my own home.
Excellent post though J_, very inspiring and the type of dual location lifestyle I could see myself living.

MattF

Post by MattF »

Very nice! I sometimes dream of living in foreign countries for long stretches of time, but I am unfamiliar with the immigration aspect since I am an American. What are the easiest places for me to live for ~1 year at a time?

J_

Post by J_ »

Hi McTrex

see my Guestpost and answers in: earlyretirementextreme.com/guest-post-aspiring-pensioners-read-ere.html. There I described how I did it.

Good luck, its possible in Nl.