Urban Homestead Open House 1980 Handout

Favorite quotations, etc.
tsch

Urban Homestead Open House 1980 Handout

Post by tsch »

My ex-mother-in-law gave me a copy of this when she was cleaning out some files over a decade ago. It's from an open house she attended in the Seattle, WA area; the Retrofitting Community discussion made me recall it.

https://ufile.io/6uqfxnag

I'll transcribe part of the title page here:
Welcome to the Fourth (and Last) Urban Homestead Open House
September 20-21, 1980

a demonstration project funded by the United States Department of Energy Appropriate Technology Small Grants Program
Sponsored by the Washington Energy Extension Service

This is how we live. The DOE grant makes it possible to share it with you. On these page you'll find descriptions of what we do and how we've benefited. We'll be pleased if you find them useful and will welcome any suggestions you may have out of your own life.

Please make yourself at home.
The document is really fascinating as it details household expenditures, resource conservation, lifestyle, gardening, etc. It will seem very familiar to many of you, yet very retro at the same time.

I haven't been able to find out anything more about the project or who it was developed by.

(It's being hosted on a free file sharing service for 30 days; choose the "slow" download and complete the captcha to download. If someone wants to host the file on some more permanent and friendly home, feel free and I think can edit the link.

Dream of Freedom

Re: Urban Homestead Open House 1980 Handout

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Most of the advice isn't that different today at least as far as the extreme frugal crowd goes. You can't get much more old school than the chart for the greenhouse temperatures :P.

UK-with-kids

Re: Urban Homestead Open House 1980 Handout

Post by UK-with-kids »

I really enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing.