Best Life Lessons to Pass on to Kids

Favorite quotations, etc.
Jin+Guice

Re: Best Life Lessons to Pass on to Kids

Post by Jin+Guice »

No one in New Orleans will show you boobs in exchange for beads. Well, maybe some really drunk tourist at Tropical Isle. Never say never kid.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

http://slatestarcodex.com/2018/11/06/pr ... was-wrong/
This article made me think of this thread. Specifically in the context of a question I've been wondering about for years. How much does parenting style matter? Assuming you meet your kids' basic needs and don't traumatize them, a lot of life outcomes turn out to be genetic. Twin studies and such largely support the idea that genetics is more important than environment for most of the sorts of things middle class 21st century western parents worry about.

Just keep them alive, healthy, and socialized. They should be able to do what is expected of an adult in your society before the time you're too old to take care of them.

Also, Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Redo

Post by Redo »

Best life lesson: Don't have kids. If you want kids, adopt.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Best life Lesson: home school and get a free BA by 18, and MA by 20 as you’re working. Keep working and FIRE by 25. Start whatever it is you really want to explore as everyone else is just starting their corporate slog.

And yeah, don’t have kids :lol:

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I really just want to ensure my son knows how to critically think...not to be easily swayed by people who sound smart, politicians, advertising, and the like...I think if I can do that I would have been fairly successful. A bit of this might be out of my control (genetics / IQ) but I could certainly influence it through the environment side of the equation (read to my son from a early age, avoid all the screentime, filter out ads, teach how to solve problems, read read read!, teach basic skills).

Also avoid debt.

newhorizons1

Post by newhorizons1 »

A big one for me is the value of maintaining a positive attitude. We all know that there is plenty to be cynical about, negative about, and scared of. But, it's all too easy to get caught in a negative cycle where these things will consume your mind to the point where you stop being nice to the people around you, and stop seeing opportunities for making something better. I believe that general positivity and optimism feeds a good work ethic too.

Jason

Post by Jason »

The only thing I hate more than Charlie Munger is kids. I'm sure there is irrationality involved but irrationality is for everyone but yourself.

Thus spoketh Charlie:

"I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines. They go to bed every night a little wiser than they were when they got up and boy does that help, particularly when you have a long run in front of you."

I've been working with this.

amandastone

Post by amandastone »

"Treat people like you want to be treated by them"

stanley81ng

Post by stanley81ng »

1) be hardworking
2) think independently
3) sense of gratitude
4) be responsible person
5) learn to work smart
6) learn to give back
7) be a better person
8) spend more time with the important people in your life
9) learn to slow down and reflect
10) always strive to improve yourself

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

The one I learned from my dad was not to have kids, and it was one of the few I heeded.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

1. Be self reliant
  2. Remain curious
  3. Be a voracious reader of fiction/non-fiction in equal measure
  4. Do well by doing good
  5. Consider carefully who you let into your inner most circle
  6. Learn to set limits because takers never will.
  7. Avoid negative people like the plague - they will bring you down because misery loves company.
  8. Cultivate a healthy skepticism - trust but verify
  9. Meditate regularly or engage in any activity that puts you in a meditative state
  10. Learn to love simplicity and reject consumerism
  11. Make compounded interest your friend
  12. Life is short - live it well and fully

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

This was posted in another thread, but definitely belongs here as well: https://nomoreharvarddebt.com/2014/01/2 ... year-olds/

Qazwer

Post by Qazwer »

Quadalupe wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:21 am
This was posted in another thread, but definitely belongs here as well: https://nomoreharvarddebt.com/2014/01/2 ... year-olds/
Adsense is fascinating
Reading that article has bank adds for mortgage rates show up on my feed. The don’t be indebted for useless stuff encourages me to buy a McMansion

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Your life is not about you.

Also, have lots of kids, and start young.