How much does it suck to live in silicon valley?

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
Sclass

Re: How much does it suck to live in silicon valley?

Post by Sclass »

Nice.

I stopped by my old neighborhood. My home in Los Altos rents for $4000, 2br 1 ba. About 1300 sq ft.

A friend in North Berkeley rents her rooms out in house near Fat Apples. Master BR $2000, kids bedrooms $1000. Kitchen privileges and shared areas. This was her ER plan and it seems to work.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Felipe wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:57 pm
$600/month in tenderloin
inconceivable

bryan

Post by bryan »

> Where would you park the van for free?

Street parking, wherever you want! Except in the spots that are restricted during certain hours (e.g. 2hr limits, residential zones). If you don't know the area, it's a safe bet to go near apartment buildings or in the melding zones of business/industrial and residential. Just experiment to find what works. In areas that may have campers parking too often, they will post signs restricting vehicles that are too long or too tall (a cargo van under 7' would still be okay).

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Yeah, I think you just need to get on Google earth and look for streets in your area where RVs are parked. People seem to be able to find the sweet spots and they leave their RVs there.

Stanford had unrestricted parking on El Camino for years. They encouraged the students to park there if they couldn't afford a lot permit. I considered it as a kid but I sprung for the $13 permit for a remote lot called Z. As I recall RVs parked out there. Maybe I should check that lot on Google earth. I bet they've put a building on it. Out near the barns. Edit - no RVs there on Google earth.

In Palo Alto RVs were permanently parked on the roads behind Best Buy on Charleston. There was also a stretch on the frontage road to the freeway on the other side of the Mercado Theater in Santa Clara. Edit - I can see a few RVs parked on Transport St. in Palo Alto. Lakeside St. in Santa Clara has been cleaned out.

The best was my Tech who just parked his camper in the company lot. He got chummy with security. Those guys were so bored they loved walking out to the parking lot to chat him up as he sat in a lawn chair outside his rig.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute thinks one of the reasons many humans don't move away even they could theoretically FI somewhere else is that their entire social circle is in the area.

street parking in San Francisco with a van sounds terrible. humans murder each other over street parking their priuses.

bryan

Post by bryan »

> street parking in San Francisco

With #vanlife you should be taking advantage of the supreme flexibility available to find a spot. This means finding a spot during off-peak times (opposite of commuting or business hours) or right after street sweeping times, that otherwise have people driving around for 20m looking for a spot, settle for a $$ spot, or park a 20m walk away. Worst case a van-dweller can go straight for this last option and pull the bicycle out of the back. I usually end up taking advantage of the time-space flexibility and finding a spot in preparation for the next day to avoid needing to (un)load/(un)lock the bicycle.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »