Personal donations: waste of money or investment in social capital

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
CECTPA

Personal donations: waste of money or investment in social capital

Post by CECTPA »

A colleague got cancer. Now at work they are doing a fundraiser to support the person while in treatment. It's Canada, people. Everything is paid for with our taxes, no hospital bills. The person has made CAD >$200K last year. The person is probably in need for money in order to support the habitual lifestyle as the disability insurance won't provide the same income for the next 12 months or so. Apparently the person is not to smart with money, no emergency fund and all.

I'm just making a poker face when people approach with their offers to participate in the fundraiser. I have to send money to my parents in order for them to get by in a 3rd world country, I don't understand why I should support a lifestyle I don't endorse. I just don't know where to begin explaining how difficult for me to understand this situation.

Of course buying some of their fundraiser stuff would be easier than avoiding. Small community, people talking.

What do you do in such cases?

vexed87

Re: Personal donations: waste of money or investment in social capital

Post by vexed87 »

Now at work they are doing a fundraiser to support the person while in treatment.
It's important to remember that it's colleagues who have initiated this whip-around, not the recipient.

We all need catching when we fall, and I don't think it would be fair to punish an individual because they are not good with money. However if I expected my charitable donation to go to fund a luxurious lifestyle, I'd be more inclined to offer support in forms other than money, time or emotional. That said, if you don't like the individual enough to go that far, just say no, or toss in a token amount. Whatever you feel comfortable with. I rarely say no to collections in the office, but give £2-5 depending on how much I like them and how helpful they have been to me. It won't bust the bank, as you say, its for of social capital. I have never been in the position where I needed support from work colleagues, but I imagine it's nice to have a reminder others are thinking of you when times are hard, and they others are looking out for me if I hit rock bottom. What goes around comes around, hopefully.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I view it as a show of support for the coworker during a bad time. Just about a customary thing. The money part of it is secondary by a long distance. A token amount is fine IMO.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Seems one of those situations where you can gain or loose much more social capital than money. I'd do it, unless we are talking about large sums, i.e. hundreds of $, in which case I'd explain I can only afford so much and give say $50 or whatever others are giving. Most initiatives like this usually involve smaller sums though as most people are broke. You can always ask what's the going rate and decide if you can controbute this much or not. Prioritising social capital seems better here.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

> The person has made CAD >$200K last year.

So, in theory, a person who should not be needy.

Token amount is all I'd contribute when you have needs closer to your heart.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

The only idea that comes to mind for me is to announce one day to the office that you are going to visit whoever this guy is at the hospital (or wherever he is currently) and if anyone would like to join you they're welcome to do so. That way, you get to keep your money, but still show him and your co-workers that you care.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Oh, that's a good one!

CECTPA

Post by CECTPA »

Thanks for your input! Sure helps to talk to someone to figure this stuff out.