How to introduce coworker/friend to the idea of ER

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
Noided

How to introduce coworker/friend to the idea of ER

Post by Noided »

Hi,

Recently I've been talking quite a bit with a coworker of mine about topics such as Finance and Politics. I see him as intelligent (we tend to agree on major issues, and when we disagree either him or I have something to teach to each other) and with a lot of will to learn. I feel that this guy is a perfect candidate to an early retiree, he just hasn't thought about it yet.

So my question to you all is: what piece of content would you show someone to test the waters ? Maybe a website, a book, a quote, something. Have in mind that this guy is not your tipical consumer robot so I think he just needs a little nudge.

Thank you

Dragline

Re: How to introduce coworker/friend to the idea of ER

Post by Dragline »

If you are in US or Canada, probably Mr. Money Mustache -- the articles are short and the site is pretty user friendly. Plus there is a good chance your friend may have heard of him already.

Noided

Post by Noided »

@Dragline

We are portuguese, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I will look at some of his blog posts and choose one.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ah, then something less "in your face" obnoxious might be more appropriate. Perhaps gocurrycracker.

This space(ERE) is actually one of the most international I have found, but its not likely to hook anyone unless they are already interested. (It's more like an advanced class.)

Noided

Post by Noided »

I've sent him a link to MMM's simple math behind early retirement blog post. I told him to take a look, take his time and then tell me what he thought of it.

I will give you guys an update soon. If he gets interested I will probably recommend him Jacob's book. Even if it is "too much", it will make him think.

Noided

Post by Noided »

He accepted the idea really well. He told me he had thought about it before but he never got to the numbers part. He is currently learning about investing and says he doesn't really know if he wants to retire early. But he does want to be able to do whatever he wants with his life. One more life saved :P

GandK

Post by GandK »

Great to hear, Noided. :-D It's great that you were near him and able to help, and that you did so in a non-preachy way that he could accept.