The drawbacks of displaying financial success

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
TopHatFox

Re: The drawbacks of displaying financial success

Post by TopHatFox »

On "let's do this fancy dinner, vacation, trip, x together" I will only go if there is an expected potential income increase or if it's paid for by someone or something else. I am okay telling people that I value going for a walk in the park, watching a movie on my tiny-but-quality projector, or going backpacking w/ my 9 pounds of gear + food/water than going on the expensive trip.

If they insist, I may or may not mention that I value saving and investing and personal freedom more than that type of immediate spending; but that I also (likely) enjoy their company and would like to spend time in other ways. A minimalist (optimized) life style also leads to people to not even question whether I'm wealthy or not. I am happy to dish out personal finance knowledge or let out the secret red pill of FIRE if the appropriate person inquires, of course.

As for family, I have bluntly told my immediate family what my assets are and how they are allocated in a hope to inspire them; it's been working to some degree. I also bluntly told them that this is mine, and although I am under-no-circumstances willing to dish my $ out freely, I am absolutely willing to dish out educational personal finance tirades. :) I think a financially strong family unit prevents a lot of distress down the line (bailing out broke aging parents, anyone? or a needy sibling?)

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

El Duderino wrote:
unno2002 wrote:From somewhere in the past, I recall an aspect of a book or movie about “mafia”, something along the lives of the old guy telling the young to avoid a Cadillac, just get a Chevy and upgrade it as desired on the inside…
Or they could go full gangster and get a Chameleon XLE.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The interior shot of the car is a 1980s Mercedes S-Class. My $2000 "disguise".

Thanks for posting Duderino.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Sclass wrote:
El Duderino wrote: Or they could go full gangster and get a Chameleon XLE.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The interior shot of the car is a 1980s Mercedes S-Class. My $2000 "disguise".

Thanks for posting Duderino.
That was funny. I miss Phil Hartman.