Eating and going out

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
Q

Post by Q »

I ate out for 10 years straight. Many reasons for that, but, I am used to it now. I can hear and process many conversations at once, even if I am not paying attention.
My jobs lately have nearly required the super multi-tasking that I have had to endure lately, but, I have noticed as a side effect lately that I try to absorb too much and get a massive headache and go thru a period of dis-orientation. Thankfully it hasn't happened more than a few times.

Checking Carly

Post by Checking Carly »

@JohnnyH yep! They're a really great deal!

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

@Maus - thanks for the cinnamon tip. My wife heard of Borax & something else which escapes me now, that seemed to work for now as we haven't seen any ants for a week.
@HSpencer - I went through a de-waxing this spring. It was amazing. I drove home thinking my car door was open b/c I could hear the wind so clearly. My doctor said "get out the fire hose!"

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@Steve: "Empty Dive Bar(tm), where you come to think and drink"
Awesome! I am so in... Bunch of nerds hanging out drinking, reading books and getting in heated arguments... Naw, INTJs don't really argue, people argue with us.
@Carly: thanks for the info on the restaurants.com voucers... I've always been curious, but am apprehensive about how the whole thing works... I'll give it a try!

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

re: our discussion on the NYC ERE meet-up thread, here is my aspirational strategy for dealing with going out to eat, as well as Steve Austin's:
* I will have at least two meals that I invite people to join me in at my apartment each week--perhaps a Sunday brunch and a weekday evening dinner. When someone invites me to brunch or dinner out, I will have a running chance at being able to truthfully say, "Sorry, I have brunch/dinner plans already, but you're welcome to join us."
* Accept the invitation, order a cheap item (salad, for example), then if people are still hanging out after, invite them over for drinks instead of going out.

akratic

Post by akratic »

@Zev, I like that plan a lot. I should learn how to cook in a way that I would not be embarrassed to feed a group. What are you planning to cook?

B

Post by B »

I find it helps if your guests aren't picky eaters. I'm not talking about vegans or kosher or people allergic to gluten or whatever. Those people usually will eat anything that meets their requirements. I mean the "omnivores" that refuse to eat a given food for the slightest reason.
Popular excuses:

1) I ate that earlier this week.

2) I ate something else, but it was the same ethnic kind as that, earlier this week.

3) That's not the right kind of food for the time of day! (No eggs for dinner? Who invented this rule?)

4) That's too heavy of a meal. (Have a 1/2 portion!)

5) That's too light of a meal. (Have double!)

6) No veggies?

7) No meat?

8) Ew, brown rice.

9) Ew, fish.

10) Ew, raw tomatoes.

11) Ew, etc.

12) Everything on the plate is the same color! (WAT)
I can barely stand to choose a restaurant with this kind of person! Let alone cook for them! How does one handle this kind of guest?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I use something like (1) when people want to go to lunch, etc. "Why do you need to eat again? Didn't you eat yesterday? Are you guys diabetic or something?" :-D

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@akratic I usually cook really basic paleo dinners: Grass-fed meat of one sort or another, usually sautéed over low heat in a bunch of coconut oil, same treatment of sweet potato, same treatment of kale or brussels sprouts. Dessert: unsweetened coconut "ice cream" with berries.
But if I have vegetarian guests I will experiment with some of the soaked/fermented grains and legumes recipe from Nourishing Traditions.
For brunch it would be omellettes with aged raw cheese, organic greens, coconut oil, and deep orange-colored pastured eggs, plus, being in New York, mimosas.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Maybe the best defense is attack? I'm new to this, but I plan on inviting people over several times a week and make some food or let them bring food, beer, etc. I also provide the location to make a mess, TV, BBQ, and such. I make a pretty good potato salad, which helps. :-)

jeremymday

Post by jeremymday »

I have always struggled with this. I have very social friends who love restaurants, pubs, etc. This is one reason I ran up a bunch of credit card debt in my 20s.
I make a lot more money now, and I still go out, but certainly not as often. Meals at home with friends is great. If your friends are like minded in the least bit you just trade meals and its all good! ;-)
@ Felix - I like your idea, the best defense is a good offense heres to hoping they return the favor!

jeremymday

Post by jeremymday »

@ Zev - That Nourishing Traditions book seems to be very popular, well referenced, and a good addition to any library. Thanks for the find!

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Ok, old thread revived, but I just read it and I'm really starting to feel like you guys are "my people". Favorite quote is JohnnyH "INTJs don't really argue, people argue with us." Haha, at least half true because it definitely takes two to argue.
I also have trouble hearing in noisy environments. My hearing is fine from the frequency perspective, so I also independently came to the same conclusion as Maus and others that there is some "circuit" misfiring in my brain. Whatever allows people to interpolate poorly received spoken language seems to be missing.
On the other hand, I do have earwax, but I do at least a monthly cleaning with peroxide and a special syringe (I sometimes wonder if the peroxide may eventually cause ear cancer... as I read it's known to increase those kinds of cells in gum tissue).
Of course, all of this is completely off topic. I don't currently beg off social expenses because I'm in the asset accumulation phase and the savings difference is smaller than the benefits. However, I expect to incorporate your suggestions in the future.

Did

Re: Eating and going out

Post by Did »

Sorry friends. I don't think your inability to process conversations when the background noise is too high is due to your advanced or peculiar brains. It's due to you getting old. I had no problems as a younger man, but pushing 40 I got my hearing checked out as part of a work physical and was told that:

- hearing declines with age; and
- my hearing is slightly worse that could be expected for late 30s, and I might have trouble in just that situation.

I then noticed I WAS having more trouble than others, or than I used to, when I was in a noisy pub. I had to lipread more!!!

I don't have any trouble when I'm in a normal situation.

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

I'm a home body myself, as is my gf. I hate going out to eat at restauraunts in most cases. A meal for 2 at Outback costs us about $55 with tip using a coupon/special, but I can make the same quality meal for $10 for the two of us in the comfort of my nice house. On occassion we do go out to a Thai place but we order water to drink with the meal and for $27 with tip (I usually only tip places I go to repeatedly) we get 4-6 meals out of the dishes.

Same thing with going to bars. I just don't do it. A giant bottle of cheap but smooth Vodka at the grocey store is about $17 bucks and it lasts us a long time. Compare that with a drink for both of us at the bar at $12-$14 with tip...

Then again, I'm not in my twenties anymore (not that I frequented them anyways since I'm an introvert and other reasons) and it's more normal to have gatherings at your house with friends than it is to go out to bars and restauraunts.

trfie

Post by trfie »

All these posts affirm what the OP mentioned: it is advantageous to live in areas with other EREs. There are mentions of getting bargains and saving money, but the amounts mentioned above are significant, especially on a regular basis. By suggesting a cheaper venue or to go during happy hour is a compromise to the person who would have wanted to have some drinks at home instead of paying anything in a restaurant. To the person who would drink 1 beer when out over a longer period of time instead of more at home, you are actually losing time as well.

I agree with going to free events as an alternative to restaurants/bars. +1 regarding being able to have a conversation in bars, unless it is an upscale bar.

startbyserving

Post by startbyserving »

I found some interesting events and classes on my Library bulletin board.

I didn't have time to go to any of the ones that interested me. However these types of things seem like a good place to meet people that would rather have a meal / drink at home than go out to a restaurant or bar.