ERE on TV?

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I was just asked if I was interested in being in a TV program about frugal people.
I'm not sure this will work well since ERE is more about strategy than tactics. There's a lot that goes unseen. How do you show "paying cash" and "not having debt" on TV? How do you show "not eating out" and "buying used"? How do you show not buying new clothes all the time? How do you show planning for capital depreciation? How do you show contingency plans?
It's too much to explain in soundbites. (So far I've steered away from podcast interviews for the same reasons.) Tactics work well for the TV format. Complex material, not so much.
Worse, I don't think my frugal tips are all that impressive. In particular, I think some of it could be counterproductive to convincing people. The usual problems: "I don't want to live in a RV", "You're just lazy, you have a duty to work", "What about travel?", "I just want to know where you get good deals", ...
The pro argument is that maybe 1% of the viewers will "get it". 1% of a lot of people is still a lot of people.

Wes

Post by Wes »

I suppose it depends on the TV show. I've worked on a few TV shows, and my experience prompts me to advise against. The ERE philosophy is inherently anti-consumerist. TV shows(ALL TV shows) live and die by the grace of their sponsors, pro-consumerist. It would be reasonable to assume that it would be in their best interest to discredit you.

If you do decide to go through with it, here are a few tips; a guest or host will say something outrageous in order to get a rise out of you, it WILL happen. When a stage manager , producer or host announces that the show is in commercial, or on a break ignore them, your microphone is always on, and the cameras are rolling the entire time. This is when they hope you will let your guard down. Don't touch your face while on camera! Bear in mind, it makes little difference how well you comport yourself, they do magic in post-production. With very little effort they can make you look like the wackiest nut job from the Jerry Springer show.

Good luck if you decide to go through with it.
s

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I agree with some of the comments. I believe they will work to discredit you. I guess it all depends on what type of program it is, and where it will be aired.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I can't imagine what kind of TV show would be effective to promote ERE. Most of this TV stuff is for entertainment only and if someone can't get a big laugh or charge out of it, usually it will be a flop for the producer.

Now there is another TV spot which I think would get a lot of attention. That would be a "48 hours" or "60 minutes" spot or maybe just something on the ABC or CBS news. It would fit fine with the news because people are so economically disadvantaged these days they actually like seeing someone making something out of nothing. I am not saying they will observe the strategy, but what they will see is hope for them even if they, as well, have nothing.

People are reading the internet on sites like "The Coming Depression.com, and SHTF.com and newsy items like people living in cars and in tent cities. The attraction to the ERE is not going to be the brilliant early retirement possibilities, but rather the hope of living on nearly nothing just to survive. I am afraid that is going to be the general public's take on it. They are just not going to "get it" about the multi thousands in investments as they can't see those or imagine your having them. They would think in that case if there was money, you would be living the life to match. The point with people here in the USA is if you got it, you spend it, you go for it all. No savings, no investments (most people neither understand or trust the markets, and would never go near them.) People lay on their ass and watch TV and eat potato chips and mostly watch the Royal family get married or watch reruns of "The Matrix" or some sports event. They could never wrap their minds around the case for ERE.

djc

Post by djc »

As a former elected official who's been burned by the press when least expecting it I can only say DON'T DO IT.
djc

na8

Post by na8 »

Can you tell us about the show? I volunteer for a really great public tv show which would treat you quite well, but don't assume the commercial market will have any ethics at all.

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I was just telling my brother the other day that ERE is ripe for a mass media exposure and that it was just a matter of time before it was plastered all over the place as a solution to all money problems. It's the perfect timing with the economy exactly the way it is.
I figured they'd come looking for Jacob and he would become very famous as a founder.
I say go for it, who cares how bastardized it gets. It will certainly make you very well off.

SF

Post by SF »

IMHO - don't do TV. Even if the interviewer is genuinely open minded, chances are that the producers will twist your words around, edit to make you look like the lunatic fringe, and perhaps do more damage than good to ERE.
However, I think a podcast series would be a great way to increase exposure. You control the narrative. iTunes might have more exposure than whatever cable channel is interested.

m741

Post by m741 »

I think that a few (a very few) TV programs would be able to present this, and they would basically be PBS equivalents: something like Nova.
I could also see ERE being featured on some show like 60 minutes, which may do a decent, short segment, but which I think would have a connotation that 'these people are crazy', and a patronizing narrator. This wouldn't have enough depth to convey the philosophical side of it.
That's not to say that ERE isn't suitable for a TV format. I think an ERE show would be awesome, but it would have to be something that you had creative direction over and I don't see that happening on any TV channel right now. On the other hand, video podcasts or podcasts do sound like a really good idea. All you need for that is a camera capable of recording video, or a microphone. Then you just post it on Youtube, Vimeo, or elsewhere.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I think this closely correlates with my recent mentioning of jacob as a a historical role model. This could be a prime time for ERE to be spread. I don't know if tv is the best way. I think jacob would need a high level of production control on such a segment. The best idea I could come up with would be an article written by jacob, about jacob and or ERE, signed "mark twain"

and plastered on the front page of YAHOO or circulated by the AP.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teewonk

Post by teewonk »

@JasonR
More people choose to ERE == better future for everyone
I don't think anyone's afraid of looking ridiculous, since we're already on the fringe. The issue is, if everyone laughs at it, then dismisses it as crazy and impossible, then it could be a negative thing. Stoicism doesn't mean barging ahead without considering the result or choosing the more challenging choice by default.
On the other hand, people might laugh at it, but it could still plant a seed. "There's no such thing as bad publicity." It could go viral, and Jacob could very well be part of a media frenzy.
Lenore Skenazy of Free Range Kids started off by writing a small Op-Ed piece on how she let her 9-year-old son ride the NYC subway home alone. She was in articles and on talk shows for a few weeks, as in, "Is this woman the worst mom ever?" Now she has a huge following, and more kids are growing up with greater independence because of it.
Granted, "pay in cash" or "get a roommate" isn't as controversial, but leave it to TV producers to find their angle.
I, for one, recommend the self-produced route. It seems pretty straightforward to take a DSLR and a sound recorder and script your own ERE profile video for Youtube. If I were in the area, I would volunteer. Sounds like a neat project.

slacker

Post by slacker »

well...it really depends now..doesn't it? if it's mainstream, you'd rather be prepared for cheap tricks like this (ironically i think that may have been his honest opinion,too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8S4YDb4vI ( go to 5:30)
...or if you're really lucky..and it's not mainstream, it could even look like this: (small chance i'd say, as it's tv after all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8lz13SWZ5w
@mikebos: that was hilarious. i used to read all of this guy's columns in the guardian.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's a one hour show/feature for cable TV, so maybe I'll get 10 minutes of fame.
In the past, I've done an email interview with SmartMoney (they never followed up), a podcast interview for one of the big pf blogs (never aired), and The Daily (lots of back and forth, they even sent a photographer, but this did not make it into the paper either).
I absolutely suspect it's a case of "the journalist liked it but the higher ups realized it would be bad for the sponsors to bring a guy on who talks about anticonsumerism and how you don't need to work if you just stop buying things you don't need."
I'm pretty sure that a TV impression would be made to look "off", like JasonR's second scenario. It would be extremely easy since this is the default impression of the mainstream---they tend to be very quick to draw their own conclusions based on just about 30 seconds of research.
Also consider "No Impact Man", the movie. If I had seen that before discovering the blog or the book, I would probably never have read either. Without the underlying motivations, odd behavior simply comes across as odd, by definition. This is the potential downside---establishing prejudices that would prevent people from exploring deeper.
Also, "How relateable is an INTJ in person?" (not very)
I also know that some heavy frugal hitters like Larry Roth and Amy Dacyczyn has been treated badly by mainstream media.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think an interview would not be very beneficial (unless they pay or it brings lots of web hits) even though your story is interesting. I am pretty sure our INTJ personalities would not come off very entertaining after they edit the anticonsumer humor and highlight our oddities.
However, if the show was a competition of frugal people? That is a different story. I think you would do great in a competition (ex. every frugal person gets $2000 to live in an unknown location for a month. You are all left to see who has the most $ left over at the end of the month). ERE would blow away the competition hands down!

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Is have more people ERE better for us ERE'ers?
I like to be ahead of the wave so thankfully, with this, I am. I also bought RE before the wave too. I don't do things when a lot of people do them (you know, like buy gold right now). Not that I give a crap either way, this isn't going to be a huge thing - although it might trend higher (for a moment) and become popular (yeah for people trying to sell on the idea - hey, maybe me). But when a lot of people do it, it ruins it for everyone else.
Why do we want it to be popular? Do we secretly want others to hang out with to make ourselves feel better and fit in more?
Interesting thing when we try to push our values on other people when we don't want other people to put theirs on us. But of course, we're right this time, this is the right thing to do for the world and the environment and people specifically, but who cares about that at large. I'm not going to try to save the world, I'm just here for a short time trying to suck off the easiest way from A to B. ERE is that, so I'm not 100% sure I want other people to follow me unless there's something in it for me. And you should too!
Aside from that thought, who gives a crap if the tv show bombs! I've never cared what others think of me, but I think it would be a great success either way for Jacob and others that can seize the opportunity and gain financially from selling to it. For that reason, all publicity is great.
Like I said, whether Jacob likes it or not, he's perfectly positioned to accept the full gain from ERE and it's right next to the tipping point for this to happen - so I'm happy to call it.
OPRAH! Is she still around?
Stuff that like will make Jacob a best seller overnight and snowball.
We have everything we need to do a tipping point because we have a strong subculture, we have market timing, and everything else is lining up.
It's just a matter of time.
For my predictions Jacob, count me in to make some money if you'd like to spin something off this.

na8

Post by na8 »

I think you should do an old school Ben Franklin plus and minus T graph. The pluses will probably outweigh the minuses..just go for it and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Oh, and post the T graph on the blog for everyone to comment and vote on! I'm a skeptic by nature, but sometimes I have to leave that aside and just plow ahead..as you should with this TV thing.