Being ERE/FI is being a responsible for society

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
ToFI

Post by ToFI »

If we can retire early, we are actually contribute to the society, here's why: We provide more job opportunities for the young people or the people who really need a job. At one time, I were having one full time job and a part time job at the same time. A temp co-worker said to me:This is not fair when you have two jobs and I am struggling to find work. By delaying retirement, we'll cause the increase in youth unemployment and can cause social problems. What do youth do with all their free time?
"Delaying retirement will send multiple ripples through the economy. More Canadians staying on the job or landing part-time work means younger people – whose jobless rate is now 14.4 per cent – will see fewer openings and more competition." http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le1933557/

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

To some degree, this is true, but it also depends on your job. If someone else can easily come in and do your job, then it may be responsible to let them. However, a 35 year old whatever is going to have a different skill set than a 21 year old new grad, and you can't just ask the 21 year-old to step in. This is becoming a pretty big problem in some industries where the mid-upper levels have been decimated -- there's nobody to impart wisdom/transfer institutional knowledge.
So I guess as long as you aren't effectively "taking your ball and going home," it can be socially responsible to let someone else have your job.

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

How are the oldest workers directing their dollars? Is it to buy more useless crap supplied by Chinese workers? Where do ERE's send their dollars?
Who's better for society? Does it really matter?
Lot's of questions before you can decide what's best. In most cases older workers are still supporting younger unemployed workers (someone is). Younger ERE are probably investing back into productive companies (but what are they doing?).
It's probably a fairly useless debate to consider which method is best. Down to an individual level, ERE is best for the person with no detriment to overall society. Besides why should it even matter in your decision? No one else seems to care beyond the individual level.