Bought a bike today, and....

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
EdithKeeler

Bought a bike today, and....

Post by EdithKeeler »

.... left my old one to be tuned up with a new seat, adding a basket, replacing the chain, etc. The new bike is really a "new" bike--it was for sale on the "used" rack but it looks BRAND SPANKIN' NEW. Bike guy said it was a trade in from a guy who got it as a gift and didn't like it. Seriously--if the former owner rode it at all it was maybe down his driveway and back.

My old bike is a Trek Hybrid, either a 2008 or 2009, I think. I don't ride a ton, but I'd like to ride more. I used to ride a lot when I was in college and after (i million years BC--OK, really late 1980's)--I had a really sweet Nishiki that I rode a lot back then. It was a higher-end bike that someone had dropped off at the bike shop for repairs and never picked up--I got it for the cost of the repairs of something like $50. I put a lot of miles on that bike riding around Williamsburg and around the Colonial Parkway. Until, of course, it got stolen... I really loved that bike. It was a joy to ride.

Anyway, after it was stolen, I didn't replace it for a long time, and then I did replace it with some POS from Wal-Mart or someplace, and I hated that bike. Barely rode it and gave it away before I moved to Texas. When I was in Texas I bought the Trek, and I really like it. I think it's a little too big for me--I did buy it at a bike shop, and they fit me to it.... I rode quite a bit in Texas, but then when I moved back I stopped riding much, and now it just feels a little too big for me (I think I'm too young to be shrinking... but you never know....). I'm not going to get rid of it, but maybe if I ride more, I'll feel more comfortable with it.

Anyway, DBF is coming to visit and he likes to bike. I looked at bike rentals, and they are not convenient, really, to my house and where we'll be biking. But I saw the "new" bike today and bought it. $150 for a Diamondback Sorrento, which appears to be a lower-end bike to all you connoissieurs out there, but it looks like they have solid reviews, and hey.... $150 for a bike that looks like it sells for around $500 from what I can tell. I took it out for spin tonight and it seems like a really nice bike.

Memphis is working on becoming a more bikeable city. I hate riding on the streets--it scares me to death because the drivers are so crazy, and though we have a lot of bike lanes, drivers don't pay attention at all. But we do have nice protected paths for biking, though I wish they were a bit more convenient to use for actual transportation--mostly just nice for a nice scenic nature ride, but there's nothing wrong with that. Not too long ago they opened the Big River Crossing, which is a bike trail over the MS River on an old railway trestle. I'm looking forward to biking that when DBF is here. Might pack a picnic or something.

Anyway... I just think I wanted to brag about the good deal I got on that bike!
Last edited by EdithKeeler on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Re: Bought a bike today, and....

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Good deal! I need to shop for a new bike myself, and I have been debating how much I should budget for this purpose with the dial ranging from $0 to $150. I haven't owned a car for about 5 years now, and haven't even rented one for the last year or so, but my BF left his car in my temporary custody, and I have to admit I have really been enjoying tooling around in it. I have had similar experience with not owning a television for several years. My current couch-surf includes free Netflix and Hulu, so I am really sinking deep into life of indulgence-lol.

mferson

Post by mferson »

Wow! That price is hard to beat for sure. Is the bike heavy?

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Is the bike heavy?
Well, it’s not a super light racing bike..... but it’s not bad.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Memphis is nice and flat for biking, but all kinds of hot and humid this time of year. Enjoy the bike.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Bikes good.