Talk me out of a second car!

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Talk me out of a second car!

Post by jacob »

I studiously avoid overpasses. My general rule is that if the over- or underpass can't be walked, I won't bike it either. If it was me, I'd take the scenic route and think of it as cycling training.

There are many (maybe most?) bike commuters that are more suicidal than me but even if you see cyclists there, it doesn't mean that nobody gets hit [on a regular basis]. If you talk to other cyclists doing the same route, they might know or have heard about someone getting clobbered. Or they might not.

Astra

Post by Astra »

Trying to think outside the box here...

... is there any chance to talk to this investor or his people? I get that he does not allow traffic, but maybe if you explain the situation and you are only passing through on bike, they can make an exception. When I was a child, I had part of my school way go through a private land. But we talked to the owner and it was ok!

... try to find an alternative to the dangerous overpass. Maybe Google maps or a regular can show some options you haven't thought of yet. Explore the neighbourhood. With a bike more routes become possible (through paths, parks or residential areas)

... plan some more time for your commute and take the scenic route in summer, carpool in winter.

Fish

Post by Fish »

Astra wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:11 pm
... try to find an alternative to the dangerous overpass.
Strava heat map is good for this: https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#7.00/- ... 00/hot/all

phil

Post by phil »

In a situation like this I would normally just test the waters and see how serious the road signs are to be taken. Maybe the building won't start for a long time. Or the owner really doesn't care about a single cyclist.

But then you are in the USA with your laws about gun ownership and trespassing... meh.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Would a moped be a good compromise?

Sounds more like you need to shop for a better location.

Astra

Post by Astra »

Awesome!
I'm glad it worked out. Sometimes all you gotta do is ask ;)