Hyperloop

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Jason

Hyperloop

Post by Jason »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/busi ... p-one.html

The last semi-coherent discussion I had with my father before he died was how easier it would be for me to visit him if our country possessed a high speed rail. I hate air travel as it is onerous and involves other modes of transportation, stress, inconveniences and ancillary expenses. In a nutshell, it just sucks.

I always felt the airline lobby prohibited it. It already exists in Europe and Asia but not here so I'm assuming the reasons are political.

slowtraveler

Re: Hyperloop

Post by slowtraveler »

Elon has a nice 80 something page PDF on this.

It might be real soon but hyperloop is far faster than current rail systems.

He has also given a rocket travel idea for distance travel on Earth.

I saw a documentary where somewhere in the 1900's the US rail and quality public transport system was dismantled to make more room for the automotive industry.

I believe Asia has a few quality Maglev trains but nothing like the hyperloop which is more focused on using a partial vacuum within a closed tube to minimize energy required.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I should have distinguished between speed rail and hyper loop. You are right, hyper loop is a like a vacuum tube and would be built underground.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Jason wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:59 am
I always felt the airline lobby prohibited it. It already exists in Europe and Asia but not here so I'm assuming the reasons are political.
Maybe a bit, but the geographic and economic barriers are significant:

Why Trains are so Expensive
Why Trains Suck in America