Utility bicycling & remaining car-free with injuries

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
georgec

Utility bicycling & remaining car-free with injuries

Post by georgec »

An interesting quandary arose this summer: I sustained an injury (while on my bike, running an errand, no less) that prevents me even now 2 months later from riding my bicycle. I'd been an all-season utility bicyclist (in Northeast Ohio). Twice a week to the grocery store, all local errands, and when possible daily visits with my two-wheeled psychiatrist :)

I own a car, and have had to use it. I'm anxious to get back to riding, but it really brought to my attention how delicate a reliance on a bicycle as transportation can be, if injured. My injury was severe, but the accident was very minor.

I went from driving the car once or twice a month (self-employed, work at home) to driving pretty much daily (errands, hikes, etc).

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how to maintain a car-free existence when injured? Walking was not an option due to distances involved (and even though I injured my arm, any sort of activity was excruciating).

Even as a dedicated utility cyclist, I was thankful I had a car. I had always just taken for granted I'd be able to ride my bike when I wanted to. The injury was a forced change of perspective. And one I'd not planned for, nor do I have any solutions two months later.

Jean

Re: Utility bicycling & remaining car-free with injuries

Post by Jean »

I injured ny ankle, so no biking, and my car tire would get my drivers license revoked, so no driving either. So i take bus and trains.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

Maybe a recumbent bicycle (or tricycle)? They usually aren't cheap, but would take all of the weight bearing off of your upper body. Don't know how they work with utility, but people routinely use them for cross country trips, so I assume all the trailers etc. will work as well.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

This is why living close to your amenities and place of work comes in handy, and having family or loved ones to rely on when all else fails.

Lots of disabled people ride recumbents/trikes due to physical limitations. They tend to be $$$$ expensive because they are not mass produced. If I had an injury that prevented me riding, I'd be on sick leave and relying on DW to pick up the slack regarding shopping, errands and chores etc.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@georgec

If you've lost use of your arm, maybe you can get some tips from cyclist Tom Barrister who only has one arm: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqsSEqhy9Mo

Good luck and I hope you recover 100%.

georgec

Post by georgec »

Thanks all. Yeah pretty much the options I had in mind. The injury has made me much more conscious about safety on the bike and the larger impact even a small accident can impact the rest of your life. It plays such a large role these days. The accident has made me much more conscious about preserving that opportunity. I really took it for granted that I'd be able to ride as I pleased.