How to Uber in a Different Country

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
slowtraveler

How to Uber in a Different Country

Post by slowtraveler »

I am planning to visit a country I don't have mobile data in so I have to figure a way to get internet when I land to use Uber.

I'm considering finding the nearest wifi and calling from there vs finding a store with a local sim before hand and figuring how to get to this store with local buses/walking from the airport vs using Google Fi to have immediate internet abroad.

What would you all recommend?

chenda

Re: How to Uber in a Different Country

Post by chenda »

Well where are you going ? A first world airport will likely have free wifi, and phone shops...

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

how long is Felipe staying in that country? and yes, it matters what country. in some countries, a throwaway SIM with data can be had for <$5-10, usually worth it even for short trips. especially if available at the airport.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/ ... _with_data
The above link has a wealth of information on SIMs world-wide.

If you are unable to obtain a SIM before your trip, then I would obtain a SIM at the airport.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Thank you. I had not considered getting my Sim in the airport. My first guess is that it'd be more expensive than finding a store since airports tend to do that but a national company might have standardized pricing so maybe I'm wrong there.

I'm visiting multiple countries in South America, starting with Mexico, a couple of months in each before moving on.

@GeneralSnoopy
That's a cool link. It seems like data gets expensive with some of those- beyond a gig or 2, Google Fi is cheaper.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Mexico City airport should have telecom/phone shops. there are tourist programs with at least one Mexican provider (telmex? is that a thing?) that cost ~$10 for a week or so of "some calls, some texts, some data". effort: super low, just handing the staff the phone and getting the sim switched. smaller airports might not be offering phone services.

for a couple months per country, it's definitely worth it to get a "regular" plan. brute would still just get the tourist sim at the airport, and then investigate for a few days which longer term plan makes sense.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

So I'm going to go with local Sims.

Any recommendations on a good phone? A 6.0 or later droid with a decent price and is durable.

I have an ancient S3 with non working gps so a replacement will really help.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

C40 has been reporting he likes the $100 Amazon phone (Android). brute likes to err on the side of "cheap to replace", especially for travel.