suggestions on a good backpack and coat

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
blah

Post by blah »

I was just reading the how to become wealthy on minimum wage post and noticed that Jacob, you posted something about a type of Army backpack you found to be excellent. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions of large, durable backpacks? I need to get another one as my other one for hauling things has finally outlived its ability to be fixed anymore. I once had a wonderful eastpak that was huge and durable, but got torn to shreds by a dog. That was well over a decade ago, I have not since then found another one as sturdy and spacious since then either second hand or new. Any suggestions from the fellow uncarred would be great! Also, I am looking for a warm winter coat this year. I am thinking of getting either a starter jacket from the 80's or 90's, the ones with down in them, but the marketing hype is that thinsulate and other newer technologies are warmer. Down was the top of the line last time I bought a coat, but now need another one. Does anyone who walks everywhere in bitterly cold climates have any good suggestions or comments on this topic? Thanks! Blah

AlexK

Post by AlexK »

I like down jackets. Every new high tech insulation that comes out is touted to be better than down. If they were really better they would be claiming to be better than thinsulate, or microdown, or whatever the last thing was that was better than down.
The Cabelas bargain cave will have some good deals after Christmas.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I think the Army backpacks are called ALICE packs.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

Down is great, just don't get it wet and don't mat it down! Synthetic materials you can stay warm if the filler gets wet. To do stay warm in a down jacket, I wear a shell jacket over it if it's raining (or windy).

blah

Post by blah »

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate how helpful everyone is around here. It is really neat to find a place where like minded people can share information on resources and useful tips.

SF

Post by SF »

Lots depends on what bitter cold means to you, and what you'll be doing.
I like down. But be aware of the downsides. Like rePete said, don't get it wet. Don't wash it or dry it the wrong way. And depending on the shell material, you might find that feathers stick out and get lost.
Also, wearing a shell over a down jacket is great to keep out water, but remember that it will also partially compress and not insulate as well.
The worst part of down though, is the field repairability. When a down jacket gets a tear, it can lose feathers quickly. If you're relying on that loft, you'll have to carry a patch (maybe duct tape, if you don't care about looks). Sewing a small hole is possible, but expect the down to escape during the process (without the patch, that is).
I wouldn't suggest a down jacket for an everyday jacket, but they can work OK if you're careful. In the winter I use one for when I'm just standing around in below freezing temps.
For everyday wear, I'd choose a jacket with a zip in liner (I think Jacob recommends this either in the book on on this site as well). A nice thick three layer breathable shell fabric is versatile. Then a zip in liner of either wool, fleece, or something like primaloft makes for a flexible system. Go with a vest and thick balaclava if the temps get really cold.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I can not vouch for longevity, but I really like Osprey backpacks. I own two different styles. One for daypacking and another that is larger for long trips. I am sure there are more durable, but you get lighter weight, comfort, and inside frames.
I don't have good information for a best coat, but I have enjoyed a two layer Columbia jacket that has lasted for over ten years. The inner lining works good for spring weather.