How to ship a bicycle and bicycle trailer to a new state/city?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
TopHatFox

How to ship a bicycle and bicycle trailer to a new state/city?

Post by TopHatFox »

I know how to ship a bicycle out: simply take off the front wheel, remove the pedals, turn the handle bars, and stick it in a box.

But what about a two wheeled bike trailer? Take off the wheels, shove it in a giant box, and off it goes? Maybe I should've found one that's foldable. Or I could use it as a "suit case" to travel on the bus or plane with.
Last edited by TopHatFox on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: How to ship a bicycle and bicycle trailer to a new state/city?

Post by jacob »

Sell it. Buy a new one at destination.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

If you're flying, you can put it in a hockey bag and not pay oversize fee. Hockey bags are the only sports equipment that don't get charged extra.

You'll need totally disassemble it and put lots of padding in there.

johnnydougherty

Post by johnnydougherty »

To be honest freight service allows you to avoid extortionate airline baggage costs. Shipping your bike overseas means that you can use your own bike throughout your whole stay. Because bike shipping is usually less expensive with ground shipping services, most people tend to choose air freight if posible. I suggest BRI 3rd party logistics and it'll get fast delivery, great prices and excellent service with every shipment.
Last edited by johnnydougherty on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

Hey THF maybe I missed it somewhere ... what are you scheming? Long distance bike tour? My first thought about the trailer would be... is it really necessary?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Guys, the original post is 5 years old. THF is no doubt scheming up 5 totally different plans at the moment.

ScrewTheAverage
Location: Continual long-term travelling since 2016 (4 continents, 26 countries, ~80 cities)

Post by ScrewTheAverage »

For others who many need to ship something (especially large items) and want an alternative to traditional carriers/means you can try https://www.uship.com/, https://convoy.com/, or https://www.matson.com/ (shipping via container ships).