Moped vs Car

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
SimpleLife

Moped vs Car

Post by SimpleLife »

Being in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a lot, I'm still considering a moped to reduce costs. No tags, insurance or drivers license required, cheap fuel consumption and would rarely drive anyways since where I live now, everything is close to me and I can either walk or bike to what I NEED (groceries, library).

If I were to become single dating could be an issue with it with exception to the summer, when I think it could be helpful. But then there is the rain. Well, it is not raining just under half of the year, so not too bad, and I don't HAVE to travel when it's raining if I don't want to.

Then there is the need to haul stuff on occasion. I have this need more than most probably since I have rental properties and a primary residence to maintain. I could rent a car or bum a ride from a friend in exchange for a home cooked meal or something else bartered.

The moped would probably cost me $50 a month to operate assuming no insurance, tags, etc. It would reduce my expenses by about $120 a month. I would need only 36K invested (half a years savings from salary alone, not counting investment income) to support this.

Alternatively, a car would cost me $60 insurance, $100 gas (if that) and $10 a month tags for a total of $170 a month. I would need 51K invested to support this.

So the moped is about 15K a year cheaper, not factoring in the fact that my car will likely need more maintenance and more expensive maintenance than the low mileage scooter I can buy for 2K on craigslist (usually with 1K miles or so). If it breaks down, get's damaged etc. it's cheaper to replace. :-)

Seems like the car is not that much more expensive though and provides a lot more flexibility and the semblance of a more normal middle class life. It might be worth it to buy a cheapo moped of craigslist and just try it out for a while though, no? Or do the above numbers pretty much cinch the deal with the car coming out on top?

MBloom

Re: Moped vs Car

Post by MBloom »

Some cities in the PNW have car sharing websites where you can rent a neighbor's car by the hour. We have our car listed on one and it is a big hit in our walkable neighborhood where many people don't have/need cars. You might could just rent one for an hour or two here or there and the cost might work out to less than even a moped? Depends on frequency of need, I suppose. In our area the costs are about $5-8 per hour of use and replacing only the gas you use. The organization provides the insurance.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Hey,

A moped is little extreme for a man of your means. Maybe you should consider something a little more powerful?

While the moped has no reg, no insurance etc., it has little power. A mid size motorcycle with a rack or trunks is way more versatile for just a few bucks more. In CA my Harley (recently sold) cost me $93 to reg and $90/year to insure along with my other two bikes (my policy made me pay by the rider, not by the number of vehicles). For that I got a vehicle that would go on the highway and carried groceries or a passenger...not that I ever used it for that but I'm saying you get a lot more bang than a moped for a few bucks. I got 50mpg vs, say 120mpg on a moped but at that point who's counting.

I never had just a bike so they were always an extra cost in addition to a car. Riding in the rain was too dangerous a game (others cannot see you through foggy glass) so I'd use the car in foul weather. As student I'd ride in the rain because of limited parking.

My old roommate always asked if he should get a motorbike in addition to his car to save on gas. I know this isn't what your asking but I always told him it would just cost more even when you took gas savings into account. Maintenance is also costly if you don't do it yourself. Speaking of which, a true moped (piaggio or motobecane) needs to have its little two stroke engine rebuilt regularly unlike a real motorcycle. Though this is easy to do at home rebuild and subsequent breakin are a pain. And it is a pretty regular occurrence like on a well used chainsaw.

You're really starting to split hairs aren't you?

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

I guess you could say I'm obsessed with this stuff, but maybe you're right, a moped is a bit meh for me, then again, I'm still driving my nearly 12 year old civic with 110K miles, so it's not like I'm into the whole Lexus scene. Somehow I still feel like my Honda is luxurious (it's the nicest car I've ever had, 45K miles when I got it used).

Anyways, the concepts from MMM's blog about the power of reducing your expenses is replaying in my head. It is so important, and something everybody can do, you don't have to be high income to retire super early right? I actually found a way to cut my living expenses by more than 25K per year, and that's a conservative estimate, but alas, my gf won't go for it right now. I'm looking at where else I can cut, to see just how low I can go expense wise.

sky

Post by sky »

A bicycle can do what a moped can do.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

sky wrote:A bicycle can do what a moped can do.
Yeah, IMO bicycles with motors (mopeds or electric bicycles) are dominated ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominating_decision_rule ) by alternatives. A muscle-powered bicycle is cheaper, lower maintenance, and provides exercise. A scooter, used motorcycle, or sub-$3000 Japanese subcompact car costs about the same and has more utility.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

How about... a bicycle for everyday travel, and a hire a car/get a taxi for the occasions that can justify lugging about a larger load.

My taxi spend shot up after going car free, but I'm still much better off than before, less hassle parking, worrying about designated drviers etc.