Brompton :)

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
tylerrr

Brompton :)

Post by tylerrr »

Just ordered a brompton 3HL for about1700.00......

I'm sooooo excited...:)

I've been test driving them for about a year. I'll be keeping this one in trunk of my car. There are so many times I've been parked around Boston and wished I had a folding bike in my car.

Anyone else got a Brompton? I fell in love with them.

vexed87

Re: Brompton :)

Post by vexed87 »

I've always wanted one, it's a 'cool' gadget. Though I wouldn't really benefit from one as I don't use public transport at all. The only scenario I could see it working for me is when I don't have a lock with me when arriving at my destination. I could just fold up and carry it, but I'd assume it's too cumbersome and heavy to carry around all day.

How do they cope with hills?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I have a citizen that I usually keep in the trunk like that. (That's a bike, not a person.) It was cheap and it works well, albeit its pretty heavy. Spent the $$ on a road bike.

These are very good to have in crowded places with lots of foot traffic, dirt/grass and obstacles, because they are easy to steer and maneuver. But I would be concerned about them being stolen if you don't have a secure place to lock/put them.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

I had one for a few years while I was car-less, it was great because I was a three mile ride from the bus stop to my nearest city, I could ride out there then take it on the bus. I may get another when I sell my car in October.

There is a strong second hand market for them, at least in the UK.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

They cope with hills great. I'm very surprised at how fast/quick the Bromptons are...I don't feel like I'm losing much performance even compared to my nice hybrid bike. You can roll them around on the little coaster wheel attached so you don't have to carry it all the time.

I'll be carrying it inside with me most places. I'm totally paranoid about my bike being stolen. Had 2 bikes stolen in California locked overnight on my porch. Another reason I despise the state of California.

GandK

Post by GandK »

:oops: I had to go look it up.

They look amazing. I've never been a bike person, but I might change my mind if I had something like that... easier to transport to a more bike-friendly area.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Dahon is the cheaper alternative. (It doesn't fold up as compactly.) I had a Boardwalk once but I was dumb enough to sell it.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

jacob wrote:Dahon is the cheaper alternative. (It doesn't fold up as compactly.) I had a Boardwalk once but I was dumb enough to sell it.
Yeah, I tested a Dahon recently and loved it, but decided to pay more for the Brompton because of re-sell value and long term durability. The shop where I ordered the Brompton said their Dahons started falling apart so they quit carrying them.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

GandK wrote::oops: I had to go look it up.

They look amazing. I've never been a bike person, but I might change my mind if I had something like that... easier to transport to a more bike-friendly area.
How dare you think of such a thing..... :mrgreen:

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

If I lost my safe place to leave my bike (at the bus barn where I get on the bus) I would probably look for a Bike Friday. They should be similar quality to the Bromptons, and made just 70 miles away from me.

FRx

Post by FRx »

My only bike for about a year has been a Dahon. 7-speed. It looks spiffy but it is a bit flimsy. I definitely want a Brompton as my next bike but so far this little guy has been holding up. The Bromptons really keep their resale value on the used market, that's for sure.