Keep repairing old Jeep or replace?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Alphaville

Re: Keep repairing old Jeep or replace?

Post by Alphaville »

🤔 just found this...

https://jeeps.thefuntimesguide.com/how_ ... ild_jeeps/

i can build one out of just spare parts???

this is... very interesting! i wouldn’t mind a perpetual car built & rebuilt from scraps...

sort of like @sclass’s s class, but for rugged roads

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

The Jeep of Theseus!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ha haa haaa! yes.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

@Sclass
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think the Corolla had that kind of problems looking at reviews but I am not an expert. The early 2000 Subarus have well know issues about troubled pistons that leads to the head gasket replacement.
I was keeping an eye on oil level with the Subaru. I will keep that good habit with the Corolla. It use synthetic oil since day one. Not sure if that makes a difference ?

@Loner
Yes, so far so good. Can't wait to see how it perform in winter.
A sunfire 2006, Wow those things usually don't last for very long unless you have the older 90s models ( Ex boyfriend was a big fan of them ). I bet you have a standard transmission ?

Loner

Post by Loner »

Yeah exactly, they are not known for their reliability, but mine has done well enough. It has only 83K miles (135K km) though. And yes, standard transmission, manual windows, no CD nor even cassette tapes and even less bluetooth. The cluster needles are long gone (the stepper motors died). I hope it passes the winter. I can wrench a bit on it in the summer and shoulder seasons, but changing a strut or control arm in -35 would be not fun.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Colibri wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm
@Sclass
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think the Corolla had that kind of problems looking at reviews but I am not an expert.
Yeah I think it really depends on the model and year. The fact you read reviews on cars of the same year and model is smart. It’s like a preview of what’s to come so you’re likely good to go. Like I always say in these car buying threads, just take a sampling of people with the same car model/year with double the accumulated miles as yours and you’ll have a good idea of your future. Just a quick view of the TSBs for Toyota oil consumption suggests it’s the earlier corollas and later camrys with the 2.2 engine that develop oil consumption.

I stumbled across the Toyota stories while looking for ways to unstick coked piston rings.

Jeeps have a huge following of gearheads and overlanders. Best to read some of their tribal knowledge if you’re interested in those.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Sclass wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Jeeps have a huge following of gearheads and overlanders. Best to read some of their tribal knowledge if you’re interested in those.
yup that’s how i ran into that “summoned from the ether” article about it

i think i might start looking for a cheapo barn jeep & make it a 30 year project :mrgreen:

(meaning i’ll buy it a decade from now ha ha)

btw your mercedes addiction has been inspirational

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Everything I have read and heard is that the modern version of the Jeep is a money pit? Essentially Chrysler bought the marque and put a CJ-looking grille on a Cherokee?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:51 pm
Everything I have read and heard
where? hook us up with some links please. i really want to look into this option (refurbishing a broken yj or tj). kindly share any info.

(cjs were too pricey: https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... 7-for-sale )

frankly the tj looks appealing to me going by stated specs

eg see: https://www.extremeterrain.com/jeep-wra ... rview.html

and one for sale under $5k https://farmington.craigslist.org/pts/d ... 24712.html

Mister Imperceptible

Maybe more heard than read. Anecdotal. But I think people pay up for the old CJ for a reason and maybe not just because of nostalgia. But that’s what I’m asking.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

but the cj has leaf suspension. isn’t coil suspension an improvement for offroading?

see: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqf5aVVFviw

then again, leaf is more resilient?

Mister Imperceptible

I have no off-roading experience, just beginning to entertain the idea. Really want a vehicle with good clearance to get over unplowed roads in the snow. Jeep has not had much competition so I am intrigued by the new Ford Bronco coming out. Or maybe 4Runner or Tacoma are just better options for reliability. The discontinued FJ Cruisers also have a hefty price tag. Maybe the Bronco reboot will get Jeep and Toyota to up their game. But I have only ever driven Japanese compact sedans, so I don’t know. Fishing for ideas. I knew a few people with Subarus and they expressed dissatisfaction with the reliability. I actually had a Suzuki SX4 crossover once and yeah finding parts was a nightmare, but I did drive 8 hours once thru a blizzard to get to an assignment in Philly from NH. Later traded it for a Corolla several years ago because it kept needing various repairs and now I have a Civic.
Last edited by Mister Imperceptible on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

yeah fj cruiser is great but too big for my needs. i’ve driven many whales, have no desire to own one. i don’t really want to own a motor vehicle, for now i just need an escape hatch. and since my cabin is on a mountain road, 4wd helps get me there. (now i’d rent an suv to go. but in an emergency—who is renting?)

the 4runner seems too cityfied for me. the tacoma 4wd is great but i don’t want another pickup (sold one recently).

looking at recent models i was between a wrangler and a subaru, and while the crosstrek handles offroad very well i’d rather have something i can fix myself (no computers). and since i don’t want to drive it regularly, the cheaper the better (the crosstreks are still too new). getting a jeep would give me options to diy upgrade if i decide to keep it.

honda pilots also had good clearance as i recall.

eta: i meant subaru crosstrek, i’ve corrected