Zapino?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Have any of you considered the Zapino as a transportation option?
http://www.zapworld.com/electric-vehicl ... ic-scooter

Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Walking or cycling is cheaper and healthier ;-)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I'm not so sure that cycling is significantly cheaper... most bicycles cost $1,000+ when new, so the Zapino would be equivalent to a premium bicycle.
There are many people who will not ride a bicyle more than a couple miles and, for semi-rural folks or folks living in hills, this would enable them to get out of their cars.
On the other hand, if a motorcycle license & insurance is required to operate it, then, yes, it would be more expensive.

Fabian

Post by Fabian »

You don't need a new bicycle. Jacob has a post about his bicycle. I think it was almost free.
I doubt these Zapino sewing machines can go up hills :-)

S

Post by S »

I haven't considered an electric scooter before. It seems like a nice idea if you've decided you want a scooter. I looked into buying a 50cc gas one a while back when I didn't have a car as a way to take out of town trips, but ultimately decided it didn't make sense. Why? Same price as an old car with similar insurance costs (apparently they get stolen A LOT which is the reason for high insurance). Not fast enough to take on the interstate. Not powerful enough to ride up a steep hill and maintain traffic speeds. Not powerful enough for two people (husband didn't drive either). Similar cargo space to a bicycle with panniers. Of course, you could get a bigger scooter (175cc seemed nice) but then you'd have higher costs and have to get a motorcycle permit. For getting around town, a bike made more sense and for the frequency I left town renting a car was cheaper. The idea of having a small motorcycle one day appeals to me, but I don't know if I'll ever actually do it.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

You can build your own 500-750W scooter for the cost of a mountain bike + $300 for a conversion kit. A friend of mine swears by them.

Your speed is about 20mph with moderate pedal assist.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

IMO compromises like these compare poorly against used, conventional motor vehicles. For about that price you could get a late model Honda Rebel motorcycle or a 10 year old Civic, Corolla, or Ranger truck. Vehicles like those will have more practical utility value, depreciate less, and cost about the same to operate. Once you move from walking/biking to something that needs to be fueled, registered, licensed, garaged, and insured, I think you might as well get a full-on motorcycle or automobile.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Yeah for me an used vehicle would be a better and more resource-friendly option, most likely cheaper in terms of insurance/tax too.
Motorbikes like Honda Africa Twin and Transalp preserve their value very well and are reliable like tractors :)