Cycling in winter.

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
44deagle

Post by 44deagle »

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for bikes/tires that work good in winter climates (North Dakota). How long do studded tires last? Do they even work that great?
Thanks in advance.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I commuted in the Rockies last 3/4 winters... Although my area isn't especially snowy and/or cold.
I used regular 2.25" tires with decent threads, no studs. If you can keep the bike very upright you are fine without them. Can you take a fall? I had about 2-4 a winter and they were usually fun and slow events from heavy snow.
Very cold temperatures held with slipping, so you're in luck there ;)
What type of terrain and surface will you be riding on? Are you on plowed, paved roads? Or will you have to use un-shoveled sidewalks and paths?
If you can use plowed streets without too much danger from cars, I think you're fine with regular tires... If you're going to be a snow plow you might want to get/make some studded tires.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pop-Riv ... Road-Bike/

http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/02/13 ... re-chains/

44deagle

Post by 44deagle »

Thanks for the info.
As far as the terrain it wont be paths. Other than that im not sure how paved the walkways/bikeways are around here during winter. The roads should be plowed most of the time. This winter I will have to plot out the best routes as far as this goes.
That second link looks like a really good idea :)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Absolutely, see if you can find a time and route where you can use the plowed streets without too much pressure from cars.
I asked for a 7am-4pm work schedule specifically for this purpose.

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

I plan to ride with studded tires this Winter. Never done it before, but from what I've read it's very feasible. I'm not familiar with Winter here, but I figured, if the locals can do it, then so can I.
I don't know how long the tires last, but even if they only last a season (which I doubt!) then cost is still neglegible compared to a car. And yes you can DIY.

44deagle

Post by 44deagle »

Please keep us posted on how it works out for ya.

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

Sure. Too bad we don't have PM on this forum.

BTW I think we live in a similar climate (Southern Alberta here).

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

They make tank treads for bikes. Not sure how they work.