How far are you willing to walk to work?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Salathor

How far are you willing to walk to work?

Post by Salathor »

I live just about 3 miles from my office. As a government employee, I can ride public transit for free, which ends up equating to about a 45 minute commute (due to time spent waiting). This is the same as it would take me to walk if I were really hoofing it and averaging 4 mph, but it's far more comfortable and I don't end up sweaty (but I don't get the exercise and I don't open up my mental model to include 3 mile distances as 'walkable').

My usual standard for a walkable distance for an errand is 1.5 miles each way. After finishing the ERE book this weekend, I'm now considering walking on fair weather days. What's the furthest you folks are willing to walk commute once or twice a day?

TopHatFox

Re: How far are you willing to walk to work?

Post by TopHatFox »

Just get one of those electric scooters, you can even get some with folding bike tires if you wanted studded tires for winter

45 min commute sounds shitty if you're so close

take2

Post by take2 »

If you have the time I would suggest walking.

About three years ago I transitioned from a fast paced lifestyle that requires driving everywhere to a much slower pace (9-5) where I walked everywhere. I’ve since gone back to a fast paced job, but for about 18 months it was really nice. I walked on average about 10km a day between home, work and gym. Listened to lots of podcasts and music and enjoyed the exercise. Helps clear your head, etc. I only see benefits unless you’re pressed for time.

I recommend it, at least one way.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I walk 1.6 miles each way to the library, several times a week. 1.8 miles each way to the gym 4 times per week. 3 miles would be an enjoyable walk to me, at least in nice weather.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

3 feet

I used to walk about 2 miles a day but it was along a super busy highway. Still better than driving it though.

I'd say 3 miles is a good limit, above that get a bike.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

As anesde mentions, it depends how long you’re working.
When I was younger and had the typical part time job that students have, I used to walk 45 minutes each way.
Now with a 830-1830 kinda job, my limit is 25 minutes

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Google says my walk to work at my last job was 2.2 miles, which I regularly covered in just over half an hour. I walk fast.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I would walk. Like someone else said 3 miles is pushing walking versus biking, at least for me. But bikes are a hassle compared to shoes.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I used to walk around 5km each way. Lots of steep hills along the way. I did start to find it would wear me down because of the amount of time it took getting around out of my already busy schedule. for me it was more about the time. One of the reasons I moved closer to work. But the bus took me just as long. So walking was better. It sounds like you wont have any time savings anyway from taking public transit. So if I was you I would walk. Just like I did. Free exercise and nicer than being on a bus with other people.
If you are worried about being sweaty you could at least walk the way home, because it wont matter if you get sweaty. Or do what I did which was to wear sports wear and change clothing once at work.

I moved because it was too far. Ideally I would like to be say 3kms from work that would be perfect. At the moment I feel like my commute is too small. Being like a ten minute walk. But much better than a one hour walk.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Try walking only the way back for a week or two, and then as the way in.

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

6.5 km (4 miles) on the way home, because the transit is too busy. For a month I walked both ways, but I got blisters, but I found I could sustain just the return journey indefinitely.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think 3 miles is within realm of reasonable, but I am usually making the call based on other factors such as safety. For instance, when I tutored kids in a very decrepit, red-level-crime neighborhood in Detroit, I was a bit leery about even taking the 5 minute walk from the bus stop at 8 in the morning. And I can't walk (or bike) to work where I currently live, because there is a very busy, very fast, multi-lane highway with no bridges or crosswalks or sidewalks crossing my path, and it feels dangerous even merging on to it with a little car, and if I attempt to tramp across back lots, I am blocked by a body of water. I can't even complain to other people about how impossible it is to live here without a car, because not owning a car is akin to being an adult turtle without a shell in suburban metro Detroit.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I did 2x5.8km when I attended university because I was too lazy to keep patching my bike tires. Got used to it. Had no problem doing the annual 2x45km volksmarch w/o blisters after that. Also developed the deepest tan I've ever had---really stood out in the Star Trek fan club.

That's already two hours gone though and I don't think I would spend more time than that.

One mental benefit was getting used to just emptying my head from thoughts by throwing a switch. At the time I didn't really think about it as any kind of special achievement but apparently people practice meditation for exactly that purposes?! In that sense, walking has possible positive side-effects.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Interesting. For me walking has the opposite effect. It turns thoughts into an unstopable train, which is usually an enjoyable ride.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

College youth: 3 miles each way in Houghton Michigan, 7 days a week. In full Carhartt jacket, bibs and backpack.

First job out of college, but stuck in a tiny apartment: 1.5 miles each way. Leisurely 5 miles to the coffee shop and 5 miles back.

My limit is close to 3 miles. If time and weather arent a factor hunger usually is. I have very physical jobs and hobbies that supercharged my metabolism.

Keeping with theme. (One way distance)
Pogo stick: 200 yards
Walk every day: 2 miles
Walk twice a week : 3 miles
Single speed bike: 6 miles
Multispeed bike: 10 miles
Car : 25 miles

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Dude, 3 miles in Houghton, MI is like 6 miles almost anywhere else. I lived a scant mile off of campus and I had to stop halfway many days at a small grocery store in order to defrost my eyelashes.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

TopHatFox wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 pm
Just get one of those electric scooters, you can even get some with folding bike tires if you wanted studded tires for winter

45 min commute sounds shitty if you're so close
I laughed at this one. I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me get one for like eight months, but it's a nonstarter. I was excited to tell her it was the first recommendation ;-)

Frita

Post by Frita »

2 miles or less = little thought or motivation needed

2 to 4 miles = requires some motivation, easily overcome by habit

Multiply by factor of 2 to get biking numbers.

Growing up in Central Wyoming, it would get so cold that vehicles wouldn’t start despite plugging them in and keeping the school buses running all night. I’d pile on the clothes and walk to school an hour each way. Hardly anyone went to school...I should have thought about that more.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

If the bus takes you 45 minutes, you might as well walk and have more fun. Normally I'd say 2 miles, but the bus service being so slow for you swings it towards walking.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Salathor wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:14 am
I laughed at this one. I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me get one for like eight months, but it's a nonstarter. I was excited to tell her it was the first recommendation ;-)
Not that it’s super dangerous, but get a helmet + accident insurance + drive it like a slow car or a bike in the bike lane rather than on the sidewalk. Lights are typically included on it hehe. The appeal is that you can ride with biz caz already on; no need to change at work and easy to zone off for maximum passage of time.