First new bike in a long time

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
matt0533

First new bike in a long time

Post by matt0533 »

I have read through a few topics on bike advice and it seems the consensus for something cheap for general use is hybrid, only one chain ring at the front and flat bars.

Having painfully looked through used adverts where people don't post any specs, particularly frame size, as well as not really knowing what I'm looking at I eventually came across this...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-1 ... 05304.html

Anyone got any thoughts on this or other recommendations (has to be available in the UK)?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: First new bike in a long time

Post by jacob »

If the frame size is not listed, ask the seller how tall they are. Frame size mainly relates to torso length (after all, you can move the saddle up or down to compensate for leg length). A fast way to adjust the saddle when shopping is to stand next to the bike. The side of the saddle should poke halfway in between the top of your femur and the top of your hip bone. Optimal saddle height is within 1cm of that spot and found by riding/adjusting by a couple of mm at a time and checking against your power/general level of comfort.

In the US, the standard price for a used bike is 50% of the store price for the same one new.

A hybrid is good for getting around. If this is a bike you plan to ride a lot AND you can be rather sure will not get stolen, I suggest roughly doubling what you're willing to pay for a new bike or getting a used one. It's less frustration dealing with shifters and brakes that work instead of the junk components they put on low end bikes. Or maybe I'm just spoiled. If it's something that risks getting nicked, I'd pick a cheaper one.

Loner

Post by Loner »

+1 Jacob

Go used.

Just try the bike before buying it to see if you’re comfortable and make sure there’s nothing broken. Look for those bikes that haven’t been used much. Here (Canada), 1/4 of the bikes listed in classifieds have been ridden less than five times. (Look for a bike that still has small hairs on the tires, that’s a good proxy for newness.) You’ll save and you’ll have the opportunity to ride it and develop/understand your own preferences. And when you’re done with it, you can just sell it for the same price you paid.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

matt0533 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:00 pm
I have read through a few topics on bike advice and it seems the consensus for something cheap for general use is hybrid, only one chain ring at the front and flat bars.

Having painfully looked through used adverts where people don't post any specs, particularly frame size, as well as not really knowing what I'm looking at I eventually came across this...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-120-hybrid-bike-id_8405304.html

Anyone got any thoughts on this or other recommendations (has to be available in the UK)?
I disagree with the consensus on flat bars. Sweepback bars like the old English roadsters are the way to go for commuter cycles—so much more comfortable, and at the right angle (slightly downward) they will never hurt your wrists.

Something like this:

You might need a taller stem for this. But check out Nitto Albatross or Nitto North Road handlebars for quality replacements.

Or, you know, you might be able to simply find a bicycle in that style, clean it up, and get going! Steel is real.