Folding Bikes / Trikes

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
enigmaT120

Re: Folding Bikes / Trikes

Post by enigmaT120 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:42 pm

That dude must wax or something. It always looks weird to me, though I manscape.

I was a very late bloomer physically, like not until my late 30s could I even gain muscle from lifting weights. I'm hoping I'll also be a very late wilter.

And you're too far away.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:07 pm

@enigmaT120:

That makes sense. I was an early bloomer and a late bloomer, but now I am blown blowsy. (sigh)

mferson

Post by mferson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:37 am

I'm thinking of getting a Vigor P9 bike because I heard good reviews about it and it is not too expensive.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:50 am

Now that I'm autocrossing a ton and have sampled the joys of riding a bicycle around a large paddock, I've come to realize that a folding bike is probably what best meets my need. I used my mountain bike this summer, but it had to be transported via my father-in-law's motorhome as my Ford Focus ST is not well-suited for a bike rack.

Sturdiness, rear rack, fenders, kickstand, & folding pedals are the desireable features. Many speeds is a luxury since autocross sites are generally flat (or flat-ish), but most of the folders have 6, 7, or 8-spds. The Bromley's folded size capability is not needed, especially at their price! I've had at look at reviews and videos and came to the conclusion that the cheapest folders are probably a poor choice. And with my desired features, the price goes up a bit... fortunately it looks like there are a decent number on craigslist and I've got until Feb or Mar before the purchase becomes more urgent.

In the price range I'm considering, the Schwinn Adapt 1 and the Giant Expressway stand out. Pluses for the Expressway are that reviewers say it most feels like a "real" bike when riding and they occasionally pop up used on craigslist. The Adapt might be too new on the market to find a used one.

Any comments?

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 am

In my folding bike experience, I would say the frame stiffness is decent. The midframe locking mechanisms are usually pretty beefy, and doesn't cause flexing. The problem with most folders is that smaller wheels require the seatpost and steer tube need to be extra long to accommodate the rider. So with a hard pull on the handlebars, you can sometimes feel some flex, at least on mine. Mine is an aluminum bike; not sure if steel bikes would have the same issue. It doesn't impact my enjoyment of riding it though.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Of course now I'm dealing with a craigslist flake that either doesn't understand how the technology works or is just a beach bum who doesn't know how to follow through on a potential sale. Their ad has been up for 30 days now apparently renewed weekly, my first email was ignored, my second email was answered with "I still have the bike", and my reply asking for address & time for an appointment has gone unanswered. They don't have an address or phone number listed in their ad.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 pm

It took a week and the meeting finally happens. Have him demonstrate how the bike folds, try folding it myself, adjust the seat & handlebars for my height, ride around the parking lot to check brakes & shift through the gears, and the deal is done in 8 minutes. Why do so many craigslist people make it so difficult?!?

Anyway, yes, the Giant Expressway 1 feels like a normal bike when riding. It is not really for commuters, at least not in the same way a Bromley is. Nor is it a backpack bike. It does seem to be a bike you can stow inside a vehicle (like behind pickup seats or in the trunk of a hatchback) to take & use on trips as a road bike(*). It feels rugged enough to survive mishandling. The pedals fold in addition to the frame & handlebars and you're ready to transport/stow in 30 seconds even when fumbling.

(*) Going fishing Sunday, so I'll try it on a gravel road instead of using my mountain bike. Not expecting much because 20" wheels, but at least I'll have the experience.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Gravel road, rode a mile... yeah, the Expressway can do gravel roads, but it's not a pleasing experience. With those 20" tires, every stone out of place and bump deflects the steering, so one does not try building any speed for fear of being sent towards a cliff or tree.

larsz

Post by larsz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:01 am

Pros of having a foldable bike is it weighs lesser than the regular bikes and I agree it is easier to bring it when commuting. What I like about it is when I bring it to subway it is easier to carry it up and down the stairs.