Please help me to choose a bike

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
prognastat

Re: Please help me to choose a bike

Post by prognastat »

If you have brake pads check them regularly to see if they need replacing.

Also is good to clean and lube the chain and gears regularly to prevent rusting and maintain smooth operation.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Clarice wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:36 pm
I would notice a missing wheel or a nail in the tire, but that's about it; looking for practical solutions to this problem. Any advice? :geek:
Start by learning to fix a flat tyre, and take a pump, tyre levers and a spare inner tube everywhere you go, or risk walking your bike back to the starting point. Once you learn a bit more, it's also worth carrying a multi-tool, but your ability to fix things with that is of course limited to your skill level. Haphazardly turning bolts might make things worse if you're not sure what you're doing.

You can also make a good start learning to keep the drive chain relatively clean and oiled, the tool jacob linked is a solid investment. Brakes will need attention sooner or later too, perhaps the most essential maintenance task. You'll always want to be able to stop in a emergency! Never get lube on your brakes or rims, be careful during cleaning.

Youtube is great for all this stuff, others prefer bicycle maintenance books, I make use of both when I'm doing something new.

Also, listen for any rubbing, grinding, squealing, creaking, or clanking and address the source of the problem immediately. Ignore these problems at your peril, likely something will break if you don't fix it, possibly you :shock: . If the bike runs smoothly and you ride it infrequently in ideal conditions, it won't need much attention, keeping your tyres at pressure, cleaning the chain, assessing brake wear should be sufficient. An annual service will cover the bigger jobs, if you're doing really low mileage, I'd consider making it bi or tri-annual service. If you ride it more regularly, or in rainy or muddy conditions, it might warrant some more regular upkeep. It's better to wash by hand. Hosing your bike down with a pressure washer is a no-no, because water ingress in the bearings will strip away grease and lead to premature wearing of ball bearings and components.

Most larger communities run bicycle repair classes. Consider attending one if it interests you.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Well, on a related note this weekend I was about to take my bike to archery class and wouldn't you know I had a flat. Ended up getting a repair kit at the store after class and came home to patch the inner tube.

Turns out the tube had a hole right on the seam. I managed to patch it, but then while inflating it it had a massive blowout elsewhere on the tube so bad it wasn't patchable so all my prior effort was in waste. I guess the tube was just too old at this point. Ended up having to replace it after all, but at least I now have to kit for repairs in case I need it again.

Loner

Post by Loner »

If you don't use your bike a lot, it shouldn't need a lot of maintenance.

Depending on where you live and ride (close to the sea, in the rain, on asphalt/dirt etc.) you may not even need to clean/oil the chain. I have a bike I never take out in the wet. I stripped the excess oil on the chain when I installed it 3 years ago (to prevent my pants from rubbing on it and getting dirty) and it is still working fine, no rust/squeaking.

Start by keeping your tires well inflated. Most people put way too little air in them. Check them every 2-3 weeks maybe, that should be about ok. Then, learn how to fix a flat. That's the problem you're most likely to have on the road, and a very frustrating one at that. For the rest, just watch a couple of Youtube videos when a problem arises. As Vexed said, make sure to find the problems when you hear weird noises. Minor adjustement issues can become big breakage problems if they aren't taken care of.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

Guys, it's been almost 2 years. I've been successful by the standards I've stated in the beginning - I can now ride a bike casually without fear of falling, have found a few trails where I am biking regularly, and enjoy this hobby a lot. I am very happy now that I have this skill. I find riding a bike on a nice Bay Area trail to be meditative. I've never liked gyms and need outdoors to be physically active. During the plague time riding a bike is one of the few activities that give me joy. My deepest gratitude to everybody who has participated in this discussion - you've been tremendously helpful! 😎

Loner

Post by Loner »

I was going to reply but then I forgot. Nice to know all is going well. I checked the area on google street view. Looks like a beautiful place indeed for biking. One good think about C19 is indeed how it brought bike to the forefront. Many cities are changing street configurations to make more space for biking and walking, and I guess many of those changes will remain after the crisis. I very well hope so. Have a good ride!