Should I move back to my parents?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
TheRedHare

Should I move back to my parents?

Post by TheRedHare »

Hello fellow ERE community. I have another somewhat big question that I'd like some feedback on.

So, I gotten the idea of moving back to my parents. I'll be honest, that phrase makes me cringe and I'm sure to any self respecting young adult it's a painful thought....but, I am willing to get past that idea if the cost befit is there. For the tldr's, here is my cost breakdown on how my monthly expenses could look:

Stay at my current residence:
rent 100 - 230 (depends on if I can up the rent on my subtenants)
utilities 100
car insurance 80
gas 100
food 150
BJJ 140
phone 50
restaurant 75

-pros: close to everything, independence, not living with parents, BJJ

-cons: rent can be expensive, temptations on going out to eat/needless buying, pain dealing with SJW's and other crazies, roommates

Move to parents
car insurance 80
gas 200
phone 50
restaurant 75
food 75

-pros: no/low rent and utilites, low expenses overall, peace of mind, can possibly work weekends at parent's restaurant to bring in side cash,
can start taking guitar lessons (which I really want to do), being closer to rural folk (who I find easier to get along with), start a business building websites for locals (who have no idea how to do it themselves, or even use a computer properly)

-cons: living with parents, long drive to work, give up BJJ, not close to friends

Now these are simply fixed costs, this doesn't include any random expenses I make, but my thing is that if I'm away from the city and the constant bombardment to go out and drink or whatever then I'll be more likely to save. I have also started to not like the city as much as I thought I would. Truth is I don't like people all that much (especially the obnoxious kind that are prevalent in cities). Fortunately with my job and line of work (programming) I can work from home 2 days a week (hopefully 3 in the future) so that's a bonus.

One of the sucky things is that I would have to drop BJJ because there are no gyms that teach it near my parents, but it would give me the opportunity to take private guitar lessons from one of my dad's band mates who is really good and charges a low price.

One positive is that I could make some extra cash by helping my parents at their restaurant which I could bring me in a few hundred bucks in a weekend.

At 47k a year with really low expenses, I could pay off my student loans in no time, and then finally start being able to invest. Thoughts?

classical_Liberal

Re: Should I move back to my parents?

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

TheRedHare wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am

-cons: rent can be expensive
This is hard to wrap my head around. You can pay your rent driving Uber one weekend per month. That's insane. I agree with CL.

One thing that jumps out to me is the commute aspect. I don't know if you've ever had a long commute to work, but it can really wear on you.

Based on what you provided it seems like a no-brainer to stay where you are, so it makes me think something about your current situation is much worse than you are letting on.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

The rent where you are is absolute peanuts. Also what you have done is create a business model, and it is quite likely if the landlord doesnt increase the rent that over time as new roommates come and go you might be able to increase their rent so that yours even drops to zero. And you avoid all the transport costs of living rural with your parents.

Sounds like it would make sense to stay where you are. Unless you really dislike where you are.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

Smashter wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:10 pm
TheRedHare wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am

-cons: rent can be expensive
Based on what you provided it seems like a no-brainer to stay where you are, so it makes me think something about your current situation is much worse than you are letting on.
You right to believe this because I recently got into a bit of an altercation with a roommate and now things are just awkward. To be honest, I'm considering making him leave, and I think I have the right to do so since he only has a month to month contract.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

You guys are right though, I think I'm being a little over zealous with the cost savings...which might not really be that much in the end. I think it's just the grind at work that is getting to me and I'm looking for some change/ new scenery.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Maybe I am misreading your remarks, but your parents have their own retirement to plan for, they shouldn't have to be subsidizing yours. Unless they are initiating this and you'd be willing to pay them a reasonable rent, share equally in all the other bills, as well as in the work (inside and outside the house), it appears like a one-sided proposition.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

rent (not living with parents).

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Grind at work is no reason to change your residence that has a short commute. If you really need a change of that scenery, change jobs.

frugalone

Post by frugalone »