Rent short term with long term price

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
liberty

Rent short term with long term price

Post by liberty »

As described in my journal, I plan to move to cheaper places when I retire, and stay for 2-3 months in each location until I find a place I want to stay longer. But the problem with this nomad living is that prices for short term renting is higher than long term renting. Reasons for this:
- No deposit paid so more risky for landlord
- Cost of advertisement and pain with finding a new tenant
maybe more?

Is there a way to hack short-term renting to get it for (close to) long term renting price? I would like to have the same landlord across different countries. The same deposit, same payment method etc...

NPV

Re: Rent short term with long term price

Post by NPV »

I have been able to do this for a few months in Bay Area by surfing 4-8 week rental opportunities on Airbnb which were slightly below market value for even long term rentals. The owners were taking long vacations / going abroad for other reasons for a few weeks. Not sure how liquid this market is though, I might have just been lucky in lining these up.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There is a way: subletting ... or is that subleteeing?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

The one described above would be my recommended strategy here in Italy.
Italians have a very high rate of ownership, and here for most investing = buying real estate.
Result is many, many people have multiple properties, even in the lower middle class.
Renting long term in southern Europe (Italy, France, Spain for sure) is a terrible deal, because the laws tend to protect the renter*
So a lot of properties are now on AirBnb, but could be available longish term.
Unless you want a super hot turistic area, many landlords will be happy to rent to you just a tiny bit above or at long term market rates, especially if you paid cash in advance and requested no invoice (so they can dodge the tax man).

I would imagine this strategy could work in all Southern Europe, and in most countries where it is customary to own a second home.

*ie: in France it's illegal to evict somebody during the winter, no matter how behind he is with payments

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »