AirBNB and its deeper implications on ERE

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
EREMMM

AirBNB and its deeper implications on ERE

Post by EREMMM »

Hello, fellow ERE-people.

My partner and I became Airbnb hosts a couple of weeks ago. We have hosted non-stop since then. I would like to share some surprising consequences of hosting, which have been very useful in training our frugality muscles.

We live in a capital in Northern Europe in a “bohemian” neighborhood close to the city center. We have a bedroom with a double bed that we rent out and we sleep in the kitchen-living room on mattresses behind a Japanese screen. Guests can use the kitchen and everything else. After some research we took pictures, described the place and listed it. So far it seems fairly easy to have a high occupancy level.

Biking has been hailed as a key habit to change, which will lead to other positive changes in your life according to, among others, Mr. Money Moustache. I think hosting is similar to this, whatever way you do it.

When starting I had two positive outcomes in mind - making money and meeting new people from around your own country and the rest of the world. Like travelling but staying at home. That’s it.

However, after the hosting the following positive outcomes start to emerge:

- Your home starts to live. New people come to your home with new ideas and ways. Some are more talkative and hang around in the kitchen others are silent like mice. New and brief relationships form in your home more often and quicker. Your home becomes more surprising.

- Your home and your stuff become less holy. As more people use your toilet, shower and kitchen your stuff becomes what it really is - stuff, tools for doing different things. Nothing more and nothing less. This is liberating. I used to think that my toilet is my toilet alone. What a waste of resources.

- Management of space through removal of stuff. We lost our bedroom, half of our drawers and a wardrobe. We stored away the clothes we use rarely in the cellar. Dressing up goes faster and is easier when you have taken out all those weird clothes that you thought you would wear one day.

- Learning the skill of hosting. You want to be friendly and helpful, but accommodating and not get too close to your guests. This is a new skill for us. We have still things to learn.

- Keeping your place clean. Many issues at home can be solved by keeping the place clean. As we want to be our place to be rated as clean, we clean often and stow away stuff. The threshold for cleaning is lowered, as you don’t do it for yourself but you have a monetary incentive to clean it.

Hosting is also starting to adjust our comfort levels. Many people are only relaxed at home when they are alone or with their family members or co-habitants. Generally, guests are supposed to leave after an hour or two. It seems having half-strangers at home for longer times could become normal.

Finally and perhaps most important we discovered that most people are nice. Imagine, most people are nice!

And as a final point, if you live in an area that is suitable for hosting, hosting can generate quite a substantial income, especially when you have retired.

I would be very happy to hear what kind of observations other hosts have made and if there are any experienced hosts willing to share what they have learned over the years in terms of ERE-ideas.

CS

Re: AirBNB and its deeper implications on ERE

Post by CS »

AirBnb has also helped me be less attached to stuff. But I don't think I'm at the point I could bring people in my space - even if I am much more comfortable sharing theirs! Kudos to you for making that leap.

Frugalchicos

Re: AirBNB and its deeper implications on ERE

Post by Frugalchicos »

Hi EREMMM,

Chica and I experienced similar feelings than yours. It is true that you start feeling less attached to stuff. Being hosts also helped us to operate like a team.

We stopped doing Airbnb because of the taxation and decided to find a roommate (paying cash) all year round. Airbnb is exciting at the beginning, but it gets old after a while. Now we have a roommate, which is a much easier side-hustle (perhaps you make less money, but it is way more passive, and you don't have to play the host role every day.)