What is your ERE housing score?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
thavelick

Re: What is your ERE housing score?

Post by thavelick »

I live in a pretty walkable area and work from home and walk or bus to the grocery store or elsewhere. Here's how I work out:

Work: 0 (Work from home)
Groceries: 1 mile away, so 0 if I walk, .7 if I bus. so let's say .35
Monthly cost: I bought my house for $40k down and my PITI is $1,383 so 40,000/400 + 1383 = $1,483

Therefore my score is 0 + .35 + 1,483/100 = 15.18, which I'd call a B-/C+.

Before reading this post, I had been calculating this number based on equity rather than down payment, and because my house has more than doubled in value since I bought it about a decade ago, the calculation puts me more in the D range which kind of made me sad. But, maybe that's silly because if I'm not selling it, it's silly to consider what other people might pay for my house.

Another interesting fact: For a couple years, I had room mates and the rent they paid totaled 1,400/month With that, I get really low: 0 + .35 + 83/100 = 1.18

If I rented out the same rooms today I think I could get 1,850/mo which would make my score negative!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Now that we live in MN, this has become super efficient. Both WFH, groceries are 1.7 miles away by bike. We own our house so implied cost is about 403 per month with purchase price, taxes and insurance.

0 + (1.7*.3) + (4836/12/100) = 4.54 ( A+)

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

For the next few months, my housing score will be negative!

Imputed rent: Combination of living with Mom (her house is paid off) and housesitting, while I sublet for some $300 more than my rent is, so -3

Distance to work: No real job, but some income from selling stuff on eBay and doing odd tasks for neighbors, so zero

Distance to groceries: Two miles, actually a little less (and far less as the crow flies, curvy suburban streets y'know) but let's call it two.

Σ = -1

That's how you do it, people!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@unemployable
If you walk or ride bike to the grocery store, according to the original scale, you can actually bring it down to a -3, BAM!

My current arrangement 0+0+3= 3, now at an A+... Not good enough when unemployable is going all European central bank on me. I wonder if it'll stimulate his economy?

Edit: On second thought, in the winter i'll probably drive for groceries, so 0+2+3=5, when there is snow on the ground.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Distance to work = 1.7 miles, half walking half public transit
Distance to grocery = 1 mile, but I get it delivered through Instacart/Amazon Prime (I'll give myself a 2x penalty for that)
Cost of housing (PITI + down payment) = $2200, which I live in with my husband

-> 1.7 * (0.7 * 0.5) + 1 * 2 + 2200/100/2 = 13.6
So we're looking at a solid B.

C40

Post by C40 »

Rent is low in Vietnam. Usually I get food by walking to the store, about 70 meters. I do also drive around on a motorbike to eat out regularly, though I guess that's not included in the calculation.

Rent is $190 per month. Could have gotten cheaper if I got a longer lease (I only did two months), or an apartment without a nice roof area and view, or get a girlfriend that moves in. But it's cheap enough that I don't bother trying to change.

Score = 0 + 0.1 + 1.9 = 2

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

My only issue is grocery. I drive there and its 11 mi away. Otherwise I work from home and my housing payment has remained low and is now much lower at $360 that I'm on my own property.

0+11+3.6=14.6

A low "B". Most obvious room for improvement is grocery but that isnt going to change unless I move.

I was thinking about this when I lived in the Arctic. My housing was 0 and any work I did, didnt require me to travel anywhere. The only catch was the nearest grocer was ~250 mi away. That's one long walk/bike ride to the grocery store to save my housing score from an F. :lol:

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Work from home. Grocery Delivery. Wife and I own townhouse.

0+0+6 = 6

The grocery delivery feels like a bit of a cheat. It's a premium service. Driving to nearest store would put me at 10.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Walk to work starting July 16th (0.8 mile), walk/bike for groceries (1.1 miles), own house outright (used 3% of purchase price plus taxes/insurance/utilities, divided by 2 for spouse and self, did not include teen per PW)

0 + 0 + 4.5 = 4.5

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Scott 2 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm

The grocery delivery feels like a bit of a cheat. It's a premium service.
depends where/how. if you could ditch the car and just get delivery it would make for huge savings

maybe not a good idea to ditch a car before a pandemic like i did but o well :lol:

my score is 7. would like a 3.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@bigato
Electricity and internet are part of utilities for housing, at least I lump it all in there. Being a guest who is willing to invest in your uncle’s home makes you a standup person in my book. I know landlords who get calls from tenants to replace burned out lightbulbs. That just seems cheap and petty.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Frita wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:39 pm
I know landlords who get calls from tenants to replace burned out lightbulbs. That just seems cheap and petty.
that depends. in fancy corporate-run apartments you may not be allowed to mess with the light fixtures, or you might kill yourself trying, etc. it should be spelled out on the lease, and it’s worth checking with management.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

My housing score is 0. I am an unemployed moocher who lives with his parents. Distance to grocery is negligible - you walk out the building and a small independent grocery store that stocks fruit, vegetables, cleaning supplies, and household essentials is across the street.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

0 as well now. Pretty sweet!

ETA - staying in a flat/on an orchard that family owns. Providing some social/basic care for grandparents in return for free housing. There is a Lidl and second large supermarket across the street from the flat, and from the Orchard it's a 5 or 12 minute bike ride to the small/large grocery stores. Since I'm ERE'd there is no job to go to.

I underestimated the impact of a low housing score in my earlier years working toward FIRE/ERE. It truly is a game changer, that and not having a car.

Matt3121

Post by Matt3121 »

I'm negative something I guess. I hit ERE, my house is paid and the rent I charge on 1 room is bigger than my total housing costs.

Nicolino

Post by Nicolino »

Santiago de Chile here. Walk almost everywhere, including work (~10 blocks) and groceries (~3-4 blocks). Housing costs (rent + HOA) is around 1.500/month, so I guess score is ~15? Could optimize cost by lowering my housing by 1-200 hundred a month, but probably not work the hassle to move...

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

My post was from 2017:
Lemur wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 pm
Distance to work 34.4
Grocery 3.8
Housing 8.5
Score 46.7

F

You guys are impressive. I have a long commute that is killing me at the moment. Currently making active steps to eliminate this...(working on trying to find a different job and relocate). I'm still on Day 1 of the makeover.
I have worked remotely since February 2020 so no walking/biking to work. I also don't take any public transit. Grocery store is 11 miles away though so that is 11 points.

11 + 12 (Monthly cost of housing) = 23

I got a D for Needs Improvement. As my score decreased, my savings rate increased - no surprise there.

Interestingly enough, I remember my mindset when I made this post. Much complaining but just chugged along with that horrible commute. It took a pandemic and me being forced at home to realize how much life and energy I was missing (3 hours a day of commute = stress + costs + lack of sleep). Why I even put up with that idk because now, I would never.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

“2017-7Wannabe5” wrote: Right, it can't be "apples to apples" because you have transcended the independent optimization model and entered into the interdependent optimization model.
My current score would be around 6.5 (depending on whether I should count commuting distance to renovation project from rental housing and/or home office expense) vs. 3.5 in 2017. Very clear to me that this is because I have temporarily reasserted independent optimization model. There are at least 2.5 households where I could currently live for free, but I don’t want to, because I want to be mistress of my own domain once more.

That said, I am interested in exercise towards making my fully independent domain as tiny as possible within larger web of interdependence while still intact of strong legal and functional boundaries and maximized optionality. So, for instance, if somebody reasonably well behaved and quite brave would like to build and live in a cozy tee-pee like hanging structure to be suspended from sturdy branch of Norway Maple at my new project site, arrangements could possibly be made.

shelob

Post by shelob »

Let’s see how living on base works out.
Effective distance to workplace and mess hall is both <1km, both walked, so 0+0.
Because I’m contractually required to live on base, housing is provided for free, but there is a “pecuniary advantage” in my payroll which gets added to the number used for tax purposes, then deducted from the net salary. I don’t fully understand how it works, but if I calculate what I would get if it was just my base salary taxed at the same rate, it would be 4€ more than I get now.

So, housing score = 0,04.

I’m not sure if it should count though, since “shelter” is a part of the “job” that leads to “salary”. It doesn’t make much sense to wonder what a hypothetical salary would be if shelter wasn’t a part of the job, because that’s no longer the same job.* This seems a bit like including your imputed rent in your budget, which never made sense to me either.

So, real housing score = 0?

I might update this at some point once I live aboard, which due to fringe benefits might work out to a negative score :shock:

*this isn’t clearly phrased at all, sorry

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

oldbeyond wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:38 am
2 mi bike to work, 0.5 mi bike to grocery, $650 housing ---> 6.5.
New house:

Cost = 9
Work = 1.1 (3.7 mi bike)
Groceries = 0 (1 mi walk/bike)

Total 10.1